Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Clean some geese

Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Clean some geese

Hi, I have a question, but first While I have been hunting for many many years. I have never had to clean a goose. While I have raised chickend and had to clean them out as well as wild Turkey (which i just skin).I have been asked to shoot some geese at a friends house as when his pond freezes over the coyoties come and kill his geese he informed me that i could shoot them and I could have 1/2 of them. I just have to clean them. These are all tame geese including egg raised canadan geese. All were raised by him so no laws will be broken in taking any of these. I plan on using a 22 to shoot them in the head and then just skin them. Is this the best way to clean one out?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:43 AM

Default RE: Clean some geese

shoot the coyoties
Old 12-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I skin my geese if not to shot up
Quick and simple if still warm .

Cut the wings off around the first joint .
Tree trimming loppers work great
Cut off the feet at the joint , cut around the joint , bend the joint and cut conecting tisue
Cut off head 1/2 way down the neck .
A set of tree trimming loppers work great

Make aslit just thru the skin on the back , not into the meat .
Open it up so you can stick your fingers into the slit
Peel like like a orange , using a knife when needed .
Just work your fingers between the skin and meat , cut off skin sections as they get in the way
Many times I don't need the knike except to remove skin sections

Trim oil glad area off with the fat around the anus area

When done trim wing to joint at the body

I know do it a little different than many

I make a cut from the butt to almost the neck down the back .
I use a set of poultry / kitchen shears
Open the chest from the back and remove gutts

Remove any blood shot meat

Wash off

I can do 3 in 10 min at my outside cleaning station , with a garden hose to presure wash the birds

Now you can do what you want

I remove the breast , legs and thighs
The rest ( several [ 3 - 5 ] birds at 1 time ) is cut up and cooked in a stock pot, the meat removed from the bones to use in soup

Johnch

Old 12-17-2006, 12:40 PM

There is one thing that is wrong in your post. The Canada geese are under the control of the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service. Does your friend who raised the geese have a Fed propagation permit? This is a must (to be legal) for your friend to have the geese (Canada only) in his possession. Then to be legal he must fill Federal form 3-186 to transfer the geese to you before or after slaughter. If he does not have a propagation permit showing where he got the geese he is breaking the law and you would be breaking the law in having them in your possession without either a permit or hunting license ie a hunting license and a migratory bird stamp. The reason I know this is that I have had a permit for over 40 years.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: drgildy

There is one thing that is wrong in your post. The Canada geese are under the control of the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service. Does your friend who raised the geese have a Fed propagation permit? This is a must (to be legal) for your friend to have the geese (Canada only) in his possession. Then to be legal he must fill Federal form 3-186 to transfer the geese to you before or after slaughter. If he does not have a propagation permit showing where he got the geese he is breaking the law and you would be breaking the law in having them in your possession without either a permit or hunting license ie a hunting license and a migratory bird stamp. The reason I know this is that I have had a permit for over 40 years.

Couldn't you just let him be ignorant and happy No seriously, I never knew that. Is there no such thing as a tame goose that looks like a canada goose?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Yes, I could let him be ignorant but ignorance of the law is not a good excuse if you get caught the fine and possible loss of a gun would be a high price to pay for a meal. Oh yeah one more thought for you. Using a rifle is also illegal for waterfowl. You could shoot the tame ones but all canada geese are considered migratory whether they migrate or not. That is where the feds come into the picture. I hope this clears up all the muddy water.