Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What is a good duck gun?

Old 12-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Default What is a good duck gun?

I've never been duck hunting before and my fiance's uncles is a big time duck hunter and he is going to take me sometime this season. I've been in the market for a new shotgun for a while now. My fiance is going to buy me one for christmas, her brother just bought a Winchester 12 gauge 2 3/4" auto (don't know which style) and she is thinking of buying it for me. Well my question is, is 2 3/4" too light for duck hunting? I will be using the gun mainly for skeets and dove but i was just wondering if it would have enough punch for ducks.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Inactive

Default RE: What is a good duck gun?

It depends on what type of duck hunting you are going to be doing. For all intents and purposes a 2 3/4 in. chamber should be plenty. It's all i ever used in 50 years of duck hunting. And it is a great cartridge for clays and small game - using lighter shot size.

The next question would be what actions are you familiar with and / or do you like. Also get a gun that fits you. Any knowledgeable sales staff should be able to help you with that one.

Good luck and good/safe hunting.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:36 PM

NEF Pardner 10 Gauge is a great waterfowl gun.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:57 PM

Buy good shells for it. Kent Fasteel 1-/18 oz #2 loads at 1560 fps and let them get close,,, 30 yards or so.. If your buying a new gun,, most of them are 3" chambers now.

Those shellshave1/16 oz less shot that my 3" duck loads,, and I knock them dead at 35 yards.

speed kills with steel duck loads!

You could buy bismuth or tungsten matrix,, theyre costly but its like shooting lead.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:21 AM

Thats what i was really in the market for was a 3". B/C i can shoot 2 3/4 through it also. Well answer me this what is a good shotgun that won't break her bank. I would really like to have an auto, i already have a remington wingmaster pump. Preferably in the camo stock.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 AM

remington 870 pump. auto's can jam when dirty which means less shooting. plus the pump i think is more reliable for 2nd and 3rd shots. 3'' chambers can also shoot 2 3/4'' which makes it the best of both worlds
Old 12-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 870 Synthetic Magnum Super Express (I think that is the appropriate string of buzzwords) in 12 gauge. Synthetic because duck guns get exposed to water -- pond water, lake water, rain, snow, falling in the slough stumbling around in the mud while wearing chest waders. This is a pump shotgun and hence very reliable, more robust in the presence of dirt and grit, maybe introduced by falling into the slough while stumbling around in the mud while wearing chest waders or getting some cat tail junk blown into the action. This is an inexpensive shotgun, costing around $300. There are other inexpensive shotguns that will also do the job, but I don't have personal knowledge of them.

If you get serious about duck hunting you can buy a nicer, higher quality duck gun later. But this will get you started without breaking the bank. I use the Remington 870 described above, but I am a novice and just getting started.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you are willing to spend money buy a super black eaglee, an extrema, or a super x2 or x3. you could find a good sx2 for around 500-600.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 3/4 is plenty for ducks. I think I would go with a Remington 870 and it also shoots 3" which would be real good for ducks along with geese.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 AM

Quick Reply: What is a good duck gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.