Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Update on the conditions up North >

Update on the conditions up North

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Update on the conditions up North

Old 11-30-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Update on the conditions up North

Can anyone fill us in on the conditions North of the border? Are you frozen yet? What about Maine, Minnesota Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 01:34 PM

Default RE: Update on the conditions up North

New York, Long Island, is still 58 degrees so...
Old 12-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Rebel,

Not sure exactly where north of ther border you are looking for, but here in Quebec the conditions are IDEAL!!!!

The water isn't frozen, we've had very mild weather. Winter appears to have arrived today with a lot of snow. Man I wish I was hunting today, but my son has skating lessons and he wants me there.

I've been hunting waterfowl 2-3 days a week and have seen a lot of ducks on the water. Haven't seen much teal action, but the big mallards and big black ducks are everywhere.

I heard today they are calling for warm weather next week, so unless that's wrong, I'm not expecting the conditions to change much. Just be aware that the water levels are very high in most areas, so hunting from a boat is the best option.

We also went goose hunting yesterday. Hunted a field where we saw 1,000 Canadas 2 days in a row. Had a bit of bad luck when a good 800 of them came in on the field at the same time and landed in back of our layouts and the decoy spread. We managed to bag 5, but it was pretty much it for the day.

You can still get into some good Canada action and in some areas the snows are still around. However, for the most part the snows are either in the southern part of the province or have moved into Lake Champlain.

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 AM

Thanks Mustad, I went hunting Friday and I know what you mean about the Mallards and Blacks. It seems to be more this year than I have ever seen, 3 of us limited out Friday with the birds sometimes looking like bees there were so many.

I like to hunt divers and we have a few in now but until you guys freeze we don't get the big numbers. Thanks for the update.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 AM

Rebel Very frozen up here, we hit -30 c the other night, and have had wind chills far below that. No birds around here for the last month and a half. Hope the guys down south are hitting the good and hard. Andy
Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 AM

Up here in maine the fall weather has been unusually warm. However as of yesterday and this morning we hit below freezing with this morning be at 14 degrees. Right now it looks like cold weather is in store for a little while.

Oh yeah and the first snow of the season is on the ground. Off to seaduck hunting!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Just got back. This will be my last day. Jlukas is right. Weather has turned cold. Where I hunt, I had to break ice to get to my spots. I don't like to do that with the boat I'm using as it's very light and could get damaged pretty easily.

That said, I had my quota of 6 by 1:30. Still lots of birds around. All mallard drakes today. Saw some blacks but they weren't decoying very well. I passed on a number of bluebills and teal. I have to believe they aren't long for the area up here.

Anyways, good luck to all down south. It's off to the woods for some grouse and snowshoe action with my new puppy and Caribou in Jan. He did really well this year retreiving (did all 6 today). We'll see how he does in the woods.

Cheers,
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 AM

Thanks Guys I was watching the weather channel and I see things are now turning cold for you and we are even dipping into the 20's at night perfect for us, I will be going Saturday.

Jlukas.. Good Luck with the Sea Ducks I have hunted Eiders around were you are. Beleive it or not we hunted from a layout boat and I shot my 4 bird limit both days with 9 shots.

mustad.. I think the Blacks don't decoy well because they are sodarn smart at least for us anyway I have to let them work the decoys 3 to 4 times before they are in range and most of the time that dosn't work.

Good Luck