Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Storage conditions >

Gun Storage conditions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Storage conditions

Old 08-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Gun Storage conditions

I've got a question about storage conditions for guns.
I recently moved to a new house and the only plausible place for my gunsafe is in the basement. The basement is completely finished but is a little more humid than the main floor. We're not talkingmoisture on the walls or anythingjust slightly more humid than upstairs.We do have a dehumidifier that runs done there and helps a lot as well. I might add that this humidity would only be for the summer months as our winters are dry as hell around here.
Do I need to worry about rust on my guns or am I just being too paranoid?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Gun Storage conditions

They sell stuff just for safes to get rid of that problem before it happens. You might check with Mildway or Brownells. vangunsmith
Old 08-10-2005, 02:45 PM

Buy yourself a de-humidifying rod. They are around $25 USD. Just run the cord out of the safe and plug it in. Then you don't have to worry about desiccant.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 PM
bigcountry

I wouldn't do it. I know too many people that say, "I never had a problem", then forget about cleanign thier guns twice a year or oiling them down, to find them a few years later with surface rust. I recently bought a bunch of guns from an estate sale where the guy had them in his trailer and he got down and sick for a few years, and the guns were rusted besides the stainless ones.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

I would not have a problem with the safe in the basement. I would get the dehumidifying rod and use the Cabelas "gun socks", as they prevent moisture accumulating on the guns (no airflow around the guns when the safe is opened etc.). I agree with Big about people forgetting about guns and then they rust. However, if you don't even look at your guns a few times a year, you might as well sell them now...

Good luck,
CE
Old 08-10-2005, 04:33 PM
bigcountry

Let me edit what I said. I didn't notice you have a safe. I have a safe also in my basement. I use the dehydrating packs and golden rod and I have one of those temp sensors that says humidity.You know the ones with a remote read outand sensors people put outside. I just got an extra sensor for my safe.I keep humidity below 50% at all times. But keep my eyes on it.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 PM

cyrus, I live in florida and up until last december i lived on the beachside in town....about 300 yards from the atlantic. I was especially paranoid there, not as much now cuz I'm 30 miles inland but I still have the same setup. I have a dehumidifing rod in the safe ( i think mine is a browning), a box of dessicant - that you pop in the oven from time to time when you need a recharge, and i found these little wafers that use vapor technology or some nonsense and are supposed to make a rust inhibiting vapor cloud and there on the shelves floor up near the barrels etc.plus i wipe them with a rusteprufe chamois when ever i touch the metal. Last year during our hurricanes my house flooded...water was at the bottom of the safe. Not into it but at the bottom near the floor....but the time #2,#3,#4 came ashore i had jacked up the safe with cut 4x4s and when i recently moved i saw the bottom of the safe was covered in rust.....and no problems with the guns at all....you should have no problems.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Fl:

I haven't had my basement flood yet, but don't rule out the possibility. How did you raise your safe to get the 2x4s underneath???

Thanks,
CE
Old 08-11-2005, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

My safe is also in the basement. Before fastening it to the floor ,I made a heavy steel base to lift the safe off the floor and create an air space to prevent humidity on the underside. I’ve had my safe for a couple of years and have never had problems with humidity inside either but I think next time I go to Cabela’s I’m going to pick up one of those electric rods. They aren’t that expensive and are well worth it.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 AM
bigcountry

Trailer, what is your humidity?

Quick Reply: Gun Storage conditions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.