Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

carp

Old 11-27-2006, 03:34 PM

Default carp

i located a trio of white-wing scoters here 2 hens. 1 drake).... couldnt believe it when i spotted em !!! hunted em yesterday and they came in to the same area ... just stayed right out of gun range .... may try to go back after em next weekend if they are still there .... cool lookin birds .... thing is the male would swim in tight circles throwin water into the air ..... was wonderin if ya knew if it was sum kinda courtship they do ??? dont see scoters in this area .... is very strange ... altho i did kill a surf scoter years ago
Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carp

The throwin' water around was probably just ducks doing the water off the back thing. They do a sort of courtship thing in the spring time. But who knows???

Used to shoot a lot of scoters out on the Chesepeake Bay. The males are sort of pretty in a Tucan Sam sorta way. Eat about as good as a muskrat.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 PM

naw wasnt throwin water off its back ....was doin doughnuts ... lol .... it looked to be intentional too ....at first i thought maybe tryin to round up shad, minnows, etc .... but did it way too much .... and saw the hens divin for zebra mussles ..... so im thinkin a courtship thing .... alot of birds court well before spring .... thats where the "redleg" thing falls in with the mallards .... not a northern bird thing ... but a bird comin into full (courtship) plumage
Old 11-28-2006, 08:42 AM

Maybe it only had one leg
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats cool ya seen them! I dont see enough of em to know much about them!