Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

pass shooting loads

Old 11-08-2002, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default pass shooting loads

I recently tried hunting an area that is set up strictly for pass shooting at a local refuge. I saw a number of geese killed at what appeared to me to be very long ranges for conventional steel loads. I was shootin T's in a 3 1/2 12 gauge and managed to get one goose. Are the bismoth or tungsten steel loads worth the money for this type shooting? Any suggestions on how to establish leads on these high flying targets?
Old 11-09-2002, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pass shooting loads

It is a lot more fun to decoy them. At 40 yards and less, the steele works just fine.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

FOr pass shooting I use Federal 3inch T's that kills geese with the best of them and they're relitivley cheap. I agree with bud that decoying them is alot more fun but if you prefer to pass shoot you don't need the expensive bismuth and tungsten. Depends on the reange your shooting at and how fast the birds ar moving to get any idea of homw much to lead them. Just regular flying birds at about 40-50 yards I usually lead them about 1/2 to double the length of the bird if you find you shoot infromt of them then just adjust accordingly. There is no sure fire way to know where to aim for all birds all of them are different. There are to many factors to consider. Just play around and experiment with somthing that works for you.

Wait, wait, ready PLUG EM!!!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

we do alot of pass shooting up here in Manitoba,, and i use a 12ga and shoot # 2 steel and take geese at 50-60 yards u just gotta be a good shoot and get the bb's where they count in the head,, at higher ranges ,, body shots dont hit these fat geese hardenough
BRad