Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Target loads vs.Hunting loads? >

Target loads vs.Hunting loads?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Target loads vs.Hunting loads?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Spike

Default Target loads vs.Hunting loads?

Do most of you target shoot with the same loads as you hunt with?
I asked this because I spend a lot of time trying to figure out the right combo of powder,lead, wads and distance.
After I have figured all of this out I just don't want to change the sight settings on my gun.
This past saturday when I came back from a day of shooting I decided to take 2 pictures of my williams fiber optic sight (rear sight ) and wright the load combo that worked on those 2 pictures.
If Ideside to try a different load combo and change my rear sight settings Iwill always be able to set my rear sight to the origanal settings. I HOPE.
What does everyone else doif you shoot different loads??
Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Target loads vs.Hunting loads?

There is nothing wrong with working up a "hunting" load for a rifle. Make note of it and all aspects of how you achieve it. After that you are free to experiment with any kind of load you like be they a light target load or a heavy load.

I have a set load or two for every rifle I own. Once I have that fall back on load, I will and do experiment with a lot of different loads just to see what the rifle can do and if by chance I happen on an ever better or different load...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

sam52

Do most of you target shoot with the same loads as you hunt with?
I do because the loads I shoot at targets are exactly what I will shoot during hunting season...

If I were a competitve target shooter - my loads would be quite different. They will be short on powder and long on accuracy. They would be for all intents be lobbed into the target. Reduced powder will reduce recoil dramatically and if you are competitivly shooting targets all day that recoil can wear you down. Reducing recoil will serve a lot of purposes when shooting paper you really do not need penetration...

When I am shooting and change components of a load - I really do not adjust anything - I leave everything set up where it was for what I think will be the load I intend to shoot. I am looking for grouping not necessarily where they hit. If I discover a bullet/powder combination I really like and one I WILL use versus the one that i was using THEN I get serious about sighting the gun in to hit a spot.

Just rambling thoughts....

Old 04-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Every load I shoot at a taget is a hunting load. I know I waist money that way but I'm not out to kill targets.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:28 PM

Practice with loads that you will hunt with. Different loads will give different performance and curves, so I always use 90gr od RS Pyrodex under .53 RB.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

What sabotloader said: I determine what load I'll use for hunting, and get my sights zeroed where I want them. Then when I shoot anything else, I'm just looking for a good group - no matter where it is on the paper. If I want to hit a can or something, I'lluse "Kentucky windage and Tennessee elevation" - adjusting my point of aimso I canhit it.
If you're far enough away from hunting season and have easily adjustable sights, go ahead and change them. Just be sure to readjust for hunting season before it rolls around

IM jaybe

Old 04-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

What JAYB said. No need to use expensive hunting bullets and heavy hunting powder loads to just target practice. You probably will be able to find a target load that hits pretty close to the same spot, with a little experimenting anyway. Gives you a good excuse to shoot alot of different loads.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it depends on your veiw point,I use the most accurate load all the time hunting, compitition or practice. That way all I have to look for is change if it changes and you have the most accurate load you know you need to fix something. Lee