Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Flocked heads

Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Flocked heads

I’ll be pulling down my goose decoys tonight and getting them ready for the September 1st early season opener here in New York State. Part of the “getting ready” is slapping a fresh coat on white painton the cheeks. Every winter I think about flocking the heads but I have yet to get around to it. Questions are foranyone out there that has flocked decoy heads in the past and/or hunted over them:

How durable is the coating?
Best place to get it?
Will it rub off through normal wear (banging around in the decoy bag, throwing them in the truck/boat)?
How long does it take the stuff to dry?
Does it really make that much of a difference?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Flocked heads

We actually bought a flocking kit last year off of ebay, theres lots of them on there for fairly cheap. All it really is is a bottleto put the flocking in, a bag of white flocking, and a bag of white flocking.Theres a little more preperation behind it than this but its basiclly :You buy flat black paint, and flat white paint, and some sort of sealer stuff. (It says exactly what in the directions) You apply the sealer, wait for it to dry, then paint on the paint. Immediatly after painting the heads, you take your bottle which you filled up with flocking, and you just squeeze it lightly and the stuff which looks like very very black lint, goes all over the heads. Same goes for the white cheeks, you can even do the tails black too, it looks even better. As for durablilty, it holds up pretty well. You might have to touch it up a little bit in between seasons where some flocking came off, but overall, its pretty strong. It looks pretty good I think, looks much better than the flat black plastic, but not quite as good as the manufacturer flocked heads, but how could they? The ones in the stores use lasers and such. We dont really use are home - flocked ones that much anymore, mostly our new final approach, man they look good.
P.S. - everything you need for flocking costs a total of about 25$
Old 08-14-2006, 05:55 PM

I bought my kit off E-bay and flocked my heads. Its not as durable as my factory flocking but not bad. I touched them up after a year of use and just spray painted the area and dusted the flocking on it and it worked great.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Spike

I have never flocked my own decoys , but I notice alot more commitment once the birds have come in close. I truly believe that it is the flocked heads on our decoys. They make a huge differene in realism of your setup.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy Adam did his Judge full bodies and they look awesome!!! He stores them with a synthetic material sock on their heads and they seem great, so far!