Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 My first impressions of duck/goose hunting >

My first impressions of duck/goose hunting

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

My first impressions of duck/goose hunting

Old 01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first impressions of duck/goose hunting

First off, let me say Ive been hunting for well over 20 years. Over the past 20 years I havedone both deer/bow hunting and hunted upland birds via training GSP's for Hunt Tests and Field Trials which lasted about 10 years. I had to put 2 of my beloved dogs down a few years ago and decided to take a break with birds at least for a while.I became a hard core bow hunter and spent every spare minute I had dedicated to it.

Anyway, a guy I work with is an avid duck/goose hunter and I had mentioned seeing some geese and ducks buzzing around the farm fairly often. He finally talked me into going. Well, as of 2 weeks ago I now have another hunting addiction. I want to go every chance I get now. Man what a blast it was to see these birds come to decoys and calls, then it was more incredible to see them lock up and commit to landing rightin front of us!!
It was extremly refreshing to hunt wild birds that werent planted or bred and released just to hunt them. Lots of stuff to learn with the calls, the spreads etc... great fun though I must say
Old 01-26-2006, 11:51 AM

Default RE: My first impressions of duck/goose hunting

Diesel, my favorite part is when the birds lock up and come to the decoys then you know you have done your job. Welcome!!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I know exacly what you mean. I've been yappin aboutmy newfound love of duck huntingon here for a couple weeks now. Its my new addiction. I love it.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:30 PM

Congrats, guys! Welcome to the bright side! ( I love deer hunting, but my first love was waterfowl!!)
Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Diesel,
I'm pretty new to it myself. I will never forget waiting for some big Canadas coming out of the fog. We heard their wings and honks get louder as they came in. They locked up a dn dropped out of the fog & drizzle 10-12yds out. What an introduction to some magnificant birds.
If I may say so....welcome to a new addiction.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is an addiction....I used to be a die hard bow hunter ...crap....all around hunter .....but now i live for cupped wings, there is nothing like it!!!! BTW it is normal for your wife to think your nuts along with everyone else when you dont leave home without your lanyard and your eyes never miss anything in the sky!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything CM said and then some. Like getting up at 3AM to drive 2 or 3 hours and be setup an hour before sunup, the cold weather, big winds( we sunk our boat once with 4 of us in it.....another story), always buying the latest gadgets, never seeing your family four months at a time,...gas...gas...gas, and a dozen other things I can think of all in the name of fun. The best part though is the comradery with your hunting partners and the end results of a well planned hunt!!

.......correct me if I am wrong.

Ron
Old 02-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

[8D]Darnit Ron you are the loopiest canuck I know, that duckmobile sure has seen its share of birds!!! When are you gonna get a truck man!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

uh...Adam, that car can hold 2 hunters(sometimes 3), 2 dogs, all the gear(4 doz dekes included)they need, or at least 2 deer and all the acompanying gear.
Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment.

Ron
Old 03-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess i'll give ya some credit for that[&:]!!!......[8D]

how far do you live from hamiota?

Quick Reply: My first impressions of duck/goose hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.