HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   My first impressions of duck/goose hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/130493-my-first-impressions-duck-goose-hunting.html)

Diesel77 01-26-2006 11:47 AM

My first impressions of duck/goose hunting

First off, let me say Ive been hunting for well over 20 years. Over the past 20 years I havedone both deer/bow hunting and hunted upland birds via training GSP's for Hunt Tests and Field Trials which lasted about 10 years. I had to put 2 of my beloved dogs down a few years ago and decided to take a break with birds at least for a while.I became a hard core bow hunter and spent every spare minute I had dedicated to it.

Anyway, a guy I work with is an avid duck/goose hunter and I had mentioned seeing some geese and ducks buzzing around the farm fairly often. He finally talked me into going. Well, as of 2 weeks ago I now have another hunting addiction. I want to go every chance I get now. Man what a blast it was to see these birds come to decoys and calls, then it was more incredible to see them lock up and commit to landing rightin front of us!!
It was extremly refreshing to hunt wild birds that werent planted or bred and released just to hunt them. Lots of stuff to learn with the calls, the spreads etc... great fun though I must say

Rebel Dog 01-26-2006 11:51 AM

RE: My first impressions of duck/goose hunting

Diesel, my favorite part is when the birds lock up and come to the decoys then you know you have done your job. Welcome!!

Nathan67 01-26-2006 04:26 PM

I know exacly what you mean. I've been yappin aboutmy newfound love of duck huntingon here for a couple weeks now. Its my new addiction. I love it.

cameronmclain 02-06-2006 03:30 PM

Congrats, guys! Welcome to the bright side! ( I love deer hunting, but my first love was waterfowl!!)

JoeA 02-27-2006 07:58 PM

Hey Diesel,
I'm pretty new to it myself. I will never forget waiting for some big Canadas coming out of the fog. We heard their wings and honks get louder as they came in. They locked up a dn dropped out of the fog & drizzle 10-12yds out. What an introduction to some magnificant birds.
If I may say so....welcome to a new addiction.

Carpmaster 02-27-2006 08:15 PM

It is an addiction....I used to be a die hard bow hunter ...crap....all around hunter .....but now i live for cupped wings, there is nothing like it!!!! BTW it is normal for your wife to think your nuts along with everyone else when you dont leave home without your lanyard and your eyes never miss anything in the sky!!!

rbduck 02-28-2006 02:16 PM

Everything CM said and then some. Like getting up at 3AM to drive 2 or 3 hours and be setup an hour before sunup, the cold weather, big winds( we sunk our boat once with 4 of us in it.....another story), always buying the latest gadgets, never seeing your family four months at a time,...gas...gas...gas, and a dozen other things I can think of all in the name of fun. The best part though is the comradery with your hunting partners and the end results of a well planned hunt!!

.......correct me if I am wrong.

Ron:D

Carpmaster 02-28-2006 07:39 PM

[8D]Darnit Ron you are the loopiest canuck I know, that duckmobile sure has seen its share of birds!!! When are you gonna get a truck man!!!!;):D:)

rbduck 03-01-2006 05:58 PM

uh...Adam, that car can hold 2 hunters(sometimes 3), 2 dogs, all the gear(4 doz dekes included)they need, or at least 2 deer and all the acompanying gear.
Oh yeah, thanks for the compliment.

Ron:D

Carpmaster 03-01-2006 09:02 PM

I guess i'll give ya some credit for that[&:]!!!......[8D]

how far do you live from hamiota?