Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things? >

Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

After i shot a buffle head, he did a death spiral stone dead and hit the water like a load of bricks from 50ft up.

notice how i said "bizarre" and not funny. I dont want to offend anyone and I dont want anyone to think waterfowl hunting is just about killing.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

Just the other day, had been shooting ducks like crazy coming into a pond. Had a lull of about 10-15 mins. when a gadwall came swooping in picture perfect. We let her land and could see she had an injured wing. She weaved her head a few times like she was drunk and dropped her bill in the water, graveyard dead.

Most likely one that we had shot and got away, yet came back to die.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 PM

My brother, his buddy and I were out earlier in the year on a public marsh. We were having a great morning and shot quite a few teal, gadwall and a couple of mallards. We were also competing against another hunting party maybe a half mile away. Well, around 10 am we decided we had enough fun. So we started to pack up our decoys and let the other guys down the way get some action. As soon as we started heading for the trucks we heard them lay on their calls and they started sky blasting. It sounded like WWII over there. They only winged one of the birds and from over a half mile away we saw this duck start to fly right towards us and start his long descent into the marsh grass to die. My brother took of his baseball cap and swung at the duck and knocked it right onto the ground in front of him. He pounced on it and we had one more gadwall in the bag. I couldnt believe of all the places that duck could have landed he chose our path. God bless Max-4
Old 01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

my brother shot a woody once that came down right beside me on the edge of a slough. it wasn't completely dead and did a nose dive into the pine straw. it burrowed almost 3 feet under the straw and was dead when i reached over to get it. i wonder how many others have done that to get away?
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

We shot a goose one morning, rounded it up and placed it under a shell deke.3 hrs later picked up the deke to have the bird fly away...we still are in awe over that one...
Old 01-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago, we were jumpshooting a creek. About 100yds in front of us a powerline crossed the creek. I saw about 10 or so Mallards come flying down the waterway low. As they came closerthey spooked and broke away. One of them actually hit the powerline, spun around the cable a few times and landed in the water dead. I managed to retreive it and found it had a broken neck. Two weeks later, I saw a seagull do the same thing! No, I did`nt retreive it.

Ron
Old 01-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

About5 years ago while hunting in heavy fog that set in while we were in the blind, we could hear mallards all over us and could not see a one. Suddenly one appeared flying overhead right over us going away from the front of the blind. I let out a really fast 5 note comeback call and to our surprise, the duck put on the brakes. It actually flipped over several times, regained it's coordinates and banked hard to the right and flew straight at us. Still laughing at the reaction to the call, we let it land, about 5 or so feet in front of us. It's reaction to seeing us was just as surprising. It flat out got out of dodge when it saw us trying to get it to leave. Couldn't shoot it after lauging so hard. It was hilarious.

About7 years ago, while making an afternoon hunt, every duck that flew buy and took a look at our spread flew over to a small pothole in the grass and landed with these two Mallards that were carrying on something fierce. After a couple of hours of watching everything fly over, circle, and leave to land with the other two mallards, I decided to fire a warning shot. These ducks were almost 150 yards away. BBs dropped all over them and the stragglers left, but the original two ducks popped up, circled the pond, and went straight back to the pothole. Tired of waiting, I decided to throw the pirogue into the water and paddle over to that area to see what had them so bent on staying there. They got really nervous when I got about 50 yards from them that they finally got up, flew around the pond, and came back to land. About 30 yds from the pothole and they circled the pond again only to come right back to that spot. By the time they returned, I was setting out two decoys and the pair was hovering right above me wanting to land in their spot that I was so rudely invading. The hen would quack loudly and fly around a little and return with the drake. While paddling to the bank, about 15 yds from the spot I laid the decoys, the Mallard Drake lowered his legs overhead once again revealing his jewelry. Not hesitating a moment, I reached for my trusty old Browning Auto-5 and put a round of #4s right into the vitals. He landed in the water nearly an arms length away belly up. Picked up the drake, the decoys, paddled back to the blind, got in my Go Devil and began the trek home. Ended the day with a memory to last a lifetime and a duck leg band that was placed on this drake on 1992. Harvested in 1999. Hope my son gets to enjoy half the memories I've been able to experience over the last 25 years in the blind. AWESOME.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:36 PM

last year i shot a gray an he fell but didnt die me and my friend shot the bird another six times before it finally died and we were puttin bb's all over it

about five years ago me and my dad were hunting he shot a mallard and it fell in some grass about fifty yards away, when we got to him he was still alive so we rung his neck but his head came off and his neck bone just kept moving around and around
Old 01-26-2006, 08:04 AM

Quitea few years ago a buddy and I were hunting Snow geese on a lake. As a flock came to the lake They began whiffling as waterfowl sometimes do when approaching water and especially as they are coming to a flock on the water. As this began one goose suddenly began whiffling then apparently died and fell straight into the flock on the water. It mad a big splash of course and the geese right in that area got up and moved over a bit. We motored out later and picked up the goose that had died and there were no marks on it. What it died of I never figured out but we gave a proper burial and talked about it for years. There were many other things that have happened over the years but I won't boreyou with the stories. Just keep enjoying your hunting andespecially waterfowling.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:43 PM

I've had a lot of ducks/geese do bizarre things. The most bizarre of which is to wear protective rubber vests as to not be shot down. I've had many BB's just bounce off these "divinely protected" waterfowl. Haha, LOL. Just kidding- seriously I've had many memories in the blind to last a lifetime, both with friends and alone. Seen the most beautiful sunrises I can only imagine, and I wouldn't trade a day in the blind for anything.Wisheveryonewas as lucky as me!

Quick Reply: Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.