HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:25 PM
chasu
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

About5 years ago while hunting in heavy fog that set in while we were in the blind, we could hear mallards all over us and could not see a one. Suddenly one appeared flying overhead right over us going away from the front of the blind. I let out a really fast 5 note comeback call and to our surprise, the duck put on the brakes. It actually flipped over several times, regained it's coordinates and banked hard to the right and flew straight at us. Still laughing at the reaction to the call, we let it land, about 5 or so feet in front of us. It's reaction to seeing us was just as surprising. It flat out got out of dodge when it saw us trying to get it to leave. Couldn't shoot it after lauging so hard. It was hilarious.

About7 years ago, while making an afternoon hunt, every duck that flew buy and took a look at our spread flew over to a small pothole in the grass and landed with these two Mallards that were carrying on something fierce. After a couple of hours of watching everything fly over, circle, and leave to land with the other two mallards, I decided to fire a warning shot. These ducks were almost 150 yards away. BBs dropped all over them and the stragglers left, but the original two ducks popped up, circled the pond, and went straight back to the pothole. Tired of waiting, I decided to throw the pirogue into the water and paddle over to that area to see what had them so bent on staying there. They got really nervous when I got about 50 yards from them that they finally got up, flew around the pond, and came back to land. About 30 yds from the pothole and they circled the pond again only to come right back to that spot. By the time they returned, I was setting out two decoys and the pair was hovering right above me wanting to land in their spot that I was so rudely invading. The hen would quack loudly and fly around a little and return with the drake. While paddling to the bank, about 15 yds from the spot I laid the decoys, the Mallard Drake lowered his legs overhead once again revealing his jewelry. Not hesitating a moment, I reached for my trusty old Browning Auto-5 and put a round of #4s right into the vitals. He landed in the water nearly an arms length away belly up. Picked up the drake, the decoys, paddled back to the blind, got in my Go Devil and began the trek home. Ended the day with a memory to last a lifetime and a duck leg band that was placed on this drake on 1992. Harvested in 1999. Hope my son gets to enjoy half the memories I've been able to experience over the last 25 years in the blind. AWESOME.