Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Mexican ducks "The Species" >

Mexican ducks "The Species"

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mexican ducks "The Species"

Old 01-17-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Mexican ducks "The Species"

Wanted to share with everyone a really great hunt my brother and I went on with a super nice guy this year to hunt mexican ducks in west Texas, and had a blast as well as a really successful hunt. Took me about 3 years to find a guy in the U.S. that actually had mexican ducks, and wanted to see if there's any other bird hunters out there looking to add a really really hard to come by species to their collection. I'm not gaining from referrals or anything of the sort, but I've got my mexican ducks for my collection now, and thought I'd share the wealth. Just shoot me an email and I can give you all the contact info and answer any questions as far as the hunt is concerned. Another cool thing about the trip is that we were able to get into some Gambel's quail in Texas which only occupies a small small section of the state out west.

Eric
[email protected]
Old 01-18-2006, 02:04 PM

Default RE: Mexican ducks "The Species"

Aren't Mexican Ducks the same as Canadian or American Ducks? They just migrate to Mexico in the winter. If I am not mistaken you would have to go below the equator to get a change in species Southern Hemisphere Ducks. I thought about doing it once, anyway what species did you shoot? If you shot anything odd it was probably Tree Ducks my guess.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:50 PM

In parts of the U.S. some ducks are non-migratory or come up to the southern part of the country to breed normally central american species. I'd say go to google.com, and go to images and search for "mexican duck" and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's no relation to the whistling ducks, and is now considered a subspecies or race of the common mallard. Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM

I went to google and all I found were whistlers and these:

Do you need a license to hunt your tub?? I think the one on the right has teeth!!!!

Please post a pic of your duck or the species. I'm very interested in what these birds look like.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:13 PM

Yea, you'll need to put quotations around mexican duck to get the images of them, otherwise you'll get a bunch of great pics like the two spanish rubber ducky's,lol. Basically their like the mottled duck, but instead of black borders on the wings, it's white like the mallard. Do look slightly different than the mottled, but still have the bright yellow bill on the males. Just put some quotation marks around mexican duck and you'll find some pics, range maps, etc. Also, do the same for "mexican mallard" and their will be different pics that'll come up, because that's one of their common names as well

Eric
Old 01-19-2006, 09:35 AM

Sure enough.....

Mexican Ducks @ USGS Central Flyway ID

From that pic, it really looks like a black duck!! With the mallard/black hybridization that we get on the east coast, most of the blacks are not true blacks anymore and will have a small bar of white on the speculum like the ones pictured. Although, there are a few other differences. Bill and foot color, for example.

Very cool!! Looks like mallards, blacks, mottled, and mexicans are very close branches on the same tree.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Looks like ol Schmidte with (aliveagaincreations) was trying to drum up some buisness
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 PM

Hey Rebel Dog,

Your absolutely right,lol. I didn't leave my webpage, I didn't say nor imply that if they wanted taxidermy work done to steer it my way. I'm not making an type of buisness, money, or anything from trying to post about a great hunt that I went on. So yea, I'm just drumming away!!, but guess I'm just to simple to actually put things into the postto get buisness for my self. So how about you tell me, how am I drumming up buisness? Where in anything that I'veput in the postwould you get that from? I'll be sending you an IM with my personal contact info if you'd like to share some more profound accusations, please do so.

Eric
Old 01-26-2006, 01:01 PM

My appologize to eric I did out step my bounds onpassing judgement.