Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What species?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What species?

Guys, please help me out, im planning a trip trip for hopefully this fall but probably next fall. I know im cutting the time alittle shore but im trying to plan a trip for something that i havent hunted before. I cant make up my mind if its going to be a mule deer or elk hunt. I really want to hunt both, and i will one day but i just cant seem to make up my mind on which one i want to go after first. Any thoughts on which one i should try for before the other?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What species?

Guided or on your own? What State you plan on going to?
I have been on 2 guided Elk & many unguided-I have taken 2 Bulls on my own-nothing great but still Bulls 2x2 & a 3x4.
I have also been on just as many Mule Deer hunts & taken one nearly every time I have gone-all on my own, public ground, National Forests (Colorado). Elk seemed to be the hardest for me to come by though I have seen & missed several also.
I would have to vote for the Elk 1st. Good Luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:10 AM

I'm itching to go on an Elk hunt....haha theres my opinion
Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 AM

I think mule deer tastes better.

If I had silly money, I'd do something like this:
http://www.prophetmuskwa.com/welcome.php
Old 04-24-2007, 08:29 AM

IF YOU GO TO MONTANA YOU CAN GET A COMBO LICENSE. EVERY TIME IM IN COLORADO ELK HUNTING I HAVE MULLIES WITH IN BOW RANGE. I WOULD GO AFTER MULE DEER, HAVEN'T GOT ONE OF THOSE YET BUT HAVEN'T HUNTED THEM.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Elk how different can mule deer be from white tales they are very similar an Elk is a creature of a whole different habit migration in groups through the day and you can really set up stands for them if your trying to get them with a bow.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not hunt them both at the same time? They are in season at the same time at least in CO and MT. Granted it isn't the best time of the year to hunt the mulies because they are not rutting, but they won't cost you any extra at many places (outfitters that is) aside from the license. If you are looking at CO, PM me if you want some info on a really good and inexpensive place to go. I have been there 7 times and my dad has been going there for 30 years.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

NJ, if I can be any help ..Idaho has some decent over the counter areas.. for both.. Cost you less than 1000.00 for both elk and mule tags and license..you just have to get here...

ORIGINAL: Trembow

I think mule deer tastes better.

Trem... mule deer over elk??? bud what happened to your tasted buds? LOL jk... hard tobeat an elk steak...
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM

That's easy. Elk hunting is more exciting, harder work, and puts more, better tasting meat in your freezer. (Mule deer can't hold a candle to elk in the taste department.)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah you dont see mule deer being served at fine dinning resturaunts. Elk ribeye or elf N.Y. rule my world I will take that over a cow if I know the chef in the kitchen can cook.

Quick Reply: What species?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.