Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How do you make duck taste good??? >

How do you make duck taste good???

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How do you make duck taste good???

Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 PM

Default How do you make duck taste good???

Is there a way to get that fishy/liver taste out of them? I tried some of the recipies from other posts and have yet succeeded! I'm not giving up yet! There has got to be a way!!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 PM

Default RE: How do you make duck taste good???

What kind of ducks are you eating? I don't think that puddle ducks have a fishy taste at all.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:15 AM

Soak 'em in water with salt and a little bit of vinegar. Let 'em sit for about 2 hrs in it. Change the water and let 'em sit for another 2 hrs. After you've done that, dry them off and immediately stick 'em in Italian dressing or another marinade of your choice overnight.

Grill them the next day or cook them in another manner that will allow any fat to drip off. And don't cook the heck out of 'em. Cook them like you would any other red meat.

If you're shooting a lot of divers, this is the only way I've found to make them palitable. That and jerky.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:22 AM

use seasoning salt. and do what plate said.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:18 PM

Try this:

Soak in cold water over night

Next day, mix the following in a turkey roaster(amounts are according to taste and quantity needed):

White Rice
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar
Nutmeg (sparingly)
Raisins
Apple slices
Salt
Pepper
Water (enough to make a sticky clump out of the mixture)

Rinse and dry the ducks, stuff them with the above mixture. Place ducks in the turkey roaster with the remaining rice mixture surrounding them. Add more water (enough to ensure that the rice will cook properly). Dust the top of the ducks with additional cinnamon, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bake at 350.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: gandilamont

Is there a way to get that fishy/liver taste out of them? I tried some of the recipies from other posts and have yet succeeded! I'm not giving up yet! There has got to be a way!!
This is very easy and it tastes great...I have been doing it for years.

Soak meat in half and half or milk for 4 hours. Take meat out and slice in half inch strips. Sautee in a little butter for 5 minutes then add apricot brandy or peach brandy to bottom of pan and sautee for 5-7 minutes. Sautee until brandy (alcohol) dissipates and all is left is a candy coating of apricot or peach. It tastes like a dream.

Try it at least once...just don't over cook it, keep heat on medium.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Soak fresh breast meatin salty milk overnight. Stuff with a cherry pepper *I use Vlasic brand* and wrap with bacon. Grill until bacon is done and meat will be sort of medium rare. Perfect for freshly killed meat. Wouldn't do this with frozen meat though.

For frozen ducks, I stuff half an orange and several pieces of garlic in the cavity, inject with Cajunland Seasoning, soy sauce, and onion powder and bake breast down over a bead of sliced onions, carots, and celeryin a covered roasting pan. About an hour and a half on 350deg for two mallards or 5-6 teal is perfect.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:59 PM

Make jerky out of them. Breast them out, thin slice the filets, and apply a good jerky cure like Hi Mountain. I really like the hickory flavor. Duck jerky is good, so good that people won't believe it's duck.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:06 AM

we made duck fingers last weekend after the hunt. We put the duck breast in a ziplock bag and emptied a 12 oz. can of coke in there (tenderizes) and let sit for a couple of hours.

Remove duck breast and slice into "finger" size bites - 1 1/2" x 1/2" or 3/4" is what we did

- Heat oliveoil in a large iron skillet
- Add garlic, butter and onion and sautee
- dip duck fingers in flour
- drop in the pan and fry

they turned out great considering what limited ingredients we had. We served it with an onion, green pepper, and sausage mixture with red beans and rice
Old 12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I got this recipe and instructions from another site. It is very, very good. I have made it a total of 5 times this season and have tried different stuffings and none of them have been bad. Even the kids and people who don't like wild game ask for seconds.

Breast the bird so it you get the two breast halve connected by the skin.

You have to singe the pin feathers and it should look like this.

Step 3: Cut a crosshatch pattern on the meat side of the breast but be carefull not to cut all the way through. Season meat side well with salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, or my favorite --OLD BAY.

Step 4: Put your favorite stuffing in the breast and tie the breast up with butcher string as shown (skewers or good sharp tooth picks can be used to hold it together too ). The stuffing shown is just ritz crackers, salt, pepper and parsley. But I've used fruit, herb, and sausage stuffings too.

Step 5. Roll in a light dusting of flour and deep fry at about 345-350 until the skin's really nice and brown(or roast at 425 for 20 minutes -- baste with oil or butter as she's going). Take out of oil, drain, dust with your favorite seasoning salt or spice and let sit about 5 minutes before taking off the string and slicing. Should be medium rare when done. I serve this with a drizzle of sauce made from lemon juice, mayonaise, capers, green onion, salt/pepper, hot sauce and worchesteshire.

Quick Reply: How do you make duck taste good???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.