Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Do geese taste better than ducks? >

Do geese taste better than ducks?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do geese taste better than ducks?

Old 11-28-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Do geese taste better than ducks?

Because ducks are gross! I shot a honker and am wondering if I should cook it or make jerkey out of it. I dispise the taste of ducks so I make them into jerky and I would hate to waste a goose if tastes like ducks.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:59 PM

Default RE: Do geese taste better than ducks?

What kind of duck did you eat that turned you off? My wife has fixed about every kind of duck that comes through the central flyway except mergansers and they are all good. First you have to have a good cook prepare them. That said some are better than others. Take a corn or wheat fed mallard or woodie or pintail and they are almost always delicious. Cans are also excellent. If you skin and dry them out then none will be edible. Too many people nowdays do not have the patience or know how to cook wild game of any kind. All geese are in my opinion good but the best are whitefront, then canada, after that the snow geese. Snow geese are very difficult to pluck which makes a special job of roasting. The skin tears so easily that it is sometimes easier to skin them. Then they must be roasted in a bag to retain the moisture in the meat. Some people just do not like any wild game and I pity them.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:33 PM

I ate a red head(eew!) and a mallard. The mallard was a little more edible but both were pretty gross. All the rest are made to jerky. By the way I love wild game. Deer, Elk, Bear, Mt.Lion, grouse etc. but those ducks were not good! Its a shame because I love waterfowl hunting.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:47 PM

If you do not like the taste of duck then you will probabilly not like the goose either, you can marinate it as much as possible (game tame hotnspicy) or you can jerk it. Another option is jalepeno an cheese summer sausage or jalepeno hot links. If you can make it taste like anything other than a duck it will taste good.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:33 PM

HA! Well i dont know how you dont like duck.. your wife must of messed something up.. I LOVE IT . but it really depends on what kind you eat. personally my top 3 would be wood duck , teal and mallard
Old 11-28-2005, 09:45 PM

big ducks and geese pretty much taste the same to me. but when you get into the teal and woodies thats when the eatin is good if you ask me.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:03 AM

I Think duck is much better than goose and I try to shot shoot snow geese becauseI don't ewant to eat them. Snow Geese are the carp of the sky.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:39 AM

No
Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM

Cut the duck into bite size pieces wrap them with a piece of bacon and put a tooth pick through it and put it in a glass baking dish make a lot of them they go fast. sprinkle brown sugar over them dont go easy on the brown sugar put a lot on there. and put them in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes it is the best duck you will ever have. My brother was the same way with duck untill i gave him some of this.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my limited experience, they're both good. I kinda lean towards goose being better than ducks, but that's based on the size of the breast fillets. The larger goose fillets offer a few more options as far as presentation & recipes go.

So far, Specks are tops, followed by Canadas and then Snows. Some buds from SD tell me Snow geese are okay, but they say jerky is the best wayto preparethem.

That being said, for Thanksgiving Iblackened fillets from a Canada & a mallard. Bothgot good comments, butthe duck came tasting better.

Whatever you do, try to find a recipe that works for you.

Quick Reply: Do geese taste better than ducks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.