Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Short reed goose call issues >

Short reed goose call issues

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Short reed goose call issues

Old 11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Spike

Default Short reed goose call issues

I've had a Tim Grounds "Long-Mag" short reed goose call for a few seasons now and I've never been able to get it to sound like a goose. The tone seems really high and while I can do a decent "cluck" with it I can't manage to reporduce any other calls. I'm not new to calling and I've gotten really good with my RNT duck call but I can't seem to master the goose call and it shows when I can't seem to get geese to commit to my spread.

Any tips for new short reed callers?

Thanks in advance guys,
Jayson
Old 11-10-2005, 09:11 PM

Default RE: Short reed goose call issues

i have one of charlie hess's goose calls myself. he basically taught tim grounds how to make goose calls and helped him get started. but i find that tim grounds calls are extremely hard to blow and require alot of back pressure. next year i am going to start in the contest goose calling and i am getting ready to buy one of fred zink's new "money maker" goose calls. i would suggest thatyouget rid ofthat call and buy either a foiles or a zink. they are really nice calls and are fairly easy to blow depending on the model. but the important thing in goose calling is finding a call that fits you. go to a bass pro, or gandermtn. or another store like that and ask to blow there different goose calls, and then pick one out that fits you.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:04 PM

Any goose call that requires a lot of back pressure is hard to blow and i dont think they sound right. If you're serious about calling I agree with quakhead04 if you get one of those calls you can sound so much better. My first goose call was a primos honkey tonk and the back pressure was horrible I was extremely limited on the sounds that I could make with it.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest trick I can give you for a short reed is to place the tip of your toungue tight behind your bottom front teeth and arch your toungue up while you are blowing the call.....
Old 11-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Try the link and see if it helps your calling improve
http://gundogsonline.com/DaveHochman.asp?SubPage=10
If you want a deeper pitched call, try a Winglock delrin or GK Slayer
Old 11-11-2005, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

The biggest trick I can give you for a short reed is to place the tip of your toungue tight behind your bottom front teeth and arch your toungue up while you are blowing the call.....
Agreed.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Spike

I went out yesterday and got a Zink SR-1 call. It came with a good instructional tape as well so I'm happy with it. I already like the tone better but I'm still having trouble getting the right sounds out of it. But that should come with a lot of pratice.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:32 PM

good choice on the zink sr-1. if you bought an acrylic call it will take a little more time to get used to it but you can sound way better on it than a wood. but a wood call is easy to blow and will give you all the sounds you need to kill birds and win competitions. when i first started out on a short reed goose call i learned how to do two things first, a greeting call and clucks. a greeting call you just basically say "hoo-wit"into the call. then a cluck is just "wit". from here on out you'll pick up the other calls you need as you master the greetings and clucks. good luck and kill some geese with that zink!