Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Short Reed Goose Calls???

Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Short Reed Goose Calls???

Im just getting into blowing a short reed call and all i have right now is a cheap Quack Head i am looking at buying a more expensive call in the off season and im just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.....
Old 03-30-2007, 04:34 AM

Default RE: Short Reed Goose Calls???

Probably one of the best sounding goose calls on the market today in my opinion are Sean Mann goose calls. They're relitively easy to blow and have the goose build right into them. I also like the Money Maker by Zink and Avery.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

My recommendation is to keep the GooseZilla and purchase a instructional CD or DVD and learn the basics of calling before going out and spending the money on a high end acrylic call. Think of it as learning to ride a bike. You can learn on any old bike then move up to a performance bike when you are ready. If you haven't blown a short reed in the past and you move up to a high end call. Your still gonna sound likea peacockbut louder and crisper. You might impress your hunting buddies that you ahev a hundred dollar call on your neck until they ask you to blow it.[:-]
In my opinion, the GooseZilla is the best call out there for the price. I blow one alot, probably more then I do any of my acrylics. They have a real goosey sound on the low end but can also get loud, fast,and high pitched with some tuning. Both acrylic calls and poly calls are going to sound the same the only diffrence is volume and crispness. If I was to walk away 30 ayrds and blow both of them you couldn't tell the diffrence.
Your GooseZilla is right where you need to be.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goosekilla is a great call to start with or one to use for a long time to come.... I am prone to the Foiles calls but Im my opinion most of the high end acrylic calls sound the same.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:50 PM

go to an outdoor store and see which one suits you best, theres no point spending over 100$ and sounding like a turkey I blow the new SS2 And ss1 from buck Gardner made by shawn stahl, really nice calls, but again make sure you pick one up first. I also agree with elknutz, you should get a cd and learn the basics and get good on a poly before moving into acrylics!
Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM

i use a buck gardner canada hammer II and it sounds okay....my next call is going to be a foiles meat grinder...tried one out and they sound awesome.....better start saving
Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I am a big Bernie Boyle fan, I had him make me his signature The Bird goose and duck call, it is awesome, the straight meat honker is a good one, I have learned something over the years, it sounds dumb and I am sure I will take hell for saying this but, I notice that the more expensive calls produce better and evener clucks, moans and honks, people say they will go buy a 20 dollar call and it will sound just as good, they are wrong, especially when birds have been shot at for 1,2,3 and even 4 months you need the best everything on the market, calls, decoys, blinds, everything, and I tell you what, yes a 20 dollar call in the hands of a seasoned vet will sound better than a million dollar call in a rookies hands, but any of my friends that start goose hunting now I tell them to get one really good call and practice, practice,practice, that even goes for duck hunting as well...Like most everyone else has said a dvd or cd will be worth its weight in gold, put it in on trips or whenever you are driving around,I leave my calls in my truck, not the smartest I know, someone breaks intheir gone but they are a constant reminder everytime I get into my truck their they are hanging off my rearview mirror...Good luck
Old 04-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have about a dozen acrylic short reeds that I don't blow anymore, I'd let a few of 'em go pretty cheap it you liked 'em.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:42 AM

THAT QUACK HEAD GOOSE IS ALL YOU NEED IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TRY OTHER GOOSE CALLS TRY ZINK CALLS IMO THE RNTS GS AND THE DIRTY BIRD OR AWSOME CALLS BUT TRY AS MANY GOOSE CALLS AS YOU CAN.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bill Saunders Calls! Check out his website. I have been blowing his calls for years. And they are amazing!

Quick Reply: Short Reed Goose Calls???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.