Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

DU vs Delta Waterfowl???

Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 PM

Default DU vs Delta Waterfowl???

I will admit right now that I am pro Ducks Unlimited and anti Delta. But it's for reasons I consider "viable" and I will give a few of them in hopes of hearing some reasons some of you may be pro Delta.

Delta is nearly 10 years older than DU but is a considerably smaller organization. Delta's fundraising lastyear was a little over three million dollars while DU raised an astounding one hundred and ninety two million dollars.

Delta states that they are NOT a conservation organization like DU, but instead are a research organization. That sounds fine until you ask how many research biologist's they have on the payroll and are told NONE! They get most of their information and research information from graduate students. So technically they haven't even gotten any scientific concrete evidence other than a few hypotheticals or studies researched by students?

Delta also insinuates that they are heavily vested in the MS flyway and most of their southern members actually believe the organization is named after and headquartered in the MS River basin? In actuality it is named after a delta in Canada and is a Canadian organization. Yet this year they have budgeted half of their income (the 3million dollars) to come from Louisiana and since the two hurricanes have crippled LA I doubt seriously even 10% of that money will be avaiable now. I understand the regional director of MS and LA can't even be paid gas money to supervise and help local chapters with this falls fundraisers. He is doing everything by telephone. Is this organization ready for such a bleak economic outlook?

Delta also tells local committee members that they can keep 10% of their fundraising dollars for community/environmental work locally. Yet I have a buddy who was in our local committee and they wanted to give the money too scholarships and was prevented by Delta brass and was told where to steer the money! Delta hasn't put one dime "on the ground" in my homestate of TN. But DU has put nearly 5 MILLION dollars in over 500 projects statewide here in TN since their inception.

When asked how many acres Delta has conserved, protected or restored they claim 27 thousand (yes THOUSAND) and yet they are nearly a decade older than DU. Ducks Unlimited has conserved, protected and restored over 11,000,000 (yep MILLION) acres since their inception. From Canada too South America DU has replenshed and even restored prime nesting and breeding grounds for "the duck factory".

Delta wants to dismiss DUs claims that habitat is THE single most important factor in waterfowl production and conservation. Instead Delta came up with the idea of somehow it was predator management that was the key too duck survival. So they spent grant moneys that totaled nearly one quarter of a million dollars in one study area/group where they trapped/killed 25 predators and increased that areas survival rate by about 7%. That's less than natural selection and "good years" survival rates of double digit. In many DU reclamation and preservation areas hatchling survival rates have been as low as mid 30 percentiles too as much as 85%!!! increase in survival rates.

That's just some of the positives I have for DU, now I would like to hear some of the Delta guys weigh in their positives for their organization and why many in the Delta group see it necessary to villify DU?
RA
Old 11-02-2005, 07:34 AM

Default RE: DU vs Delta Waterfowl???

I am neither a DU or a Delta guy, but I do belong to and support them both by being a member. I actually prefer to channel most of my efforts to our local organization, Michigan Duck Hunters.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:54 AM

I belong to both organizations and believe strongly that both are very worthwhile. Yes we need habitat for the ducks but we also need predator control. I nearly quit DU when they began selling off property that they bought with the hard earned money from DU banquets, Yes I am a DU comittee member and I was not the only one in our chapter who discussed quitting and going all to Delta. The reason I did not quit DU is that after looking at it closely I still believe we need both organizations. Habitat is great but without some predator control you hatch NO ducklings. I do predator control on my own land and can see what it has done. I don't know how many ducks and geese are raised in Tn but in good years here where I live we probably send many waterfowl your way and I hope we can continue to send them (at least some) your way. Right now there about 100 mallards still on my ponds and eventually they will be heading south. Many were raised on my land in part because of the 41 coon 1 badger 1 fox and 3 coyotes and 2 skunks that were eliminated from their egg and hen eating habits. Good hunting!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe both groups are very beneficial to our waterfowl here in North America
Old 11-02-2005, 03:38 PM

Ducks Unlimited all the way.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:24 AM

Hey RedAllison, Where are you getting your information?

Just to let you know I serve on my DU Chapter and believe in what they do. Maybe not with everything but all in all. I am Pro any organization that puts forth any efforts to save or improve our Natural resources.

I want to give my opinion on some of your comments You stated that Delta is 10 years older and considerable smaller and Delta raised a little over 3 million where DU raised 292 million. I don’t get it just because they are smaller they are inferior I would be more concerned about where 292 million is going more than 3

Have you heard of the Wairio Restoration Project in New Zealand where DU has committed $140,000.00 dollars for the project, if I am not mistaken money raised in the U.S.

http://www.ducks.org.nz/news.html How many Ducks do you think fly over here from New Zealand. I still serveDU but as I said I don’t agree with everything.

You said they don’t have any research biologist on the payroll, well I don’t know if they are paid positions or not but Dr. Frank Rohwer their Scientific Director has a degree in Wildlife Biology from Kansas State University. If I am not mistaking there are a few Biologist Working for DU that have come from Delta.

When you say that Delta tells local Committee members that they can keep 10% of their fund raising for local work That sounds great DU gives 0% I can’t say that I blame them for stepping in and saying the money can’t be given for scholarships, how is that giving back to the environment in your neighborhood.

Predator management is very important especially if your wetlands are shrinking and the Ducks are congregated.

DU is Wetlands Conservation

Delta is Waterfowl Ecology

These two organizations compliment each other
How can you slam an organization that one of there objectives is to Preserve and promote hunting as an integral part of waterfowl management.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM

i only belong to ducks unlimtied. i do agree that ducks unlimited is a way better orginazation than delta. but i also think any orginization that helps protect our waterfowl is worthwhile. but i do have a problem with ducks unlimted. every year i go to a banquet it seems like it is "rigged" to me. all the people that are big in du always win the good prizes. in my mt. vernon chapter greenwing event the same man has one the benelli shotgun three years in a row. now your gonna tell me that hes just lucky? bull!!! i understand that they donate more to the orginization but not all of us make that much money to be donating that much. but i do agree with both orginazations.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:32 PM

The guy (Mr. Knapp) who started DU lived right across the lake from my grandparents. His land is now a refuge, Makies Island Refuge. He didnt realized it would be so large, he was an avid duck hunterand I have many pictures of him in sink boxes and such shoot swains and ducks. He did a tremendous amount of good for the local schools. Built a school and a teacherage. My grandparents knew him well, because my grandpa was the only doctor in the county. So as yall may have guessed Im a supporter!