Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 What to do is the day is a bust?  Being new things to learn >

What to do is the day is a bust? Being new things to learn

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What to do is the day is a bust? Being new things to learn

Old 09-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Default What to do is the day is a bust? Being new things to learn

This weekend might be a bust for me. I have no idea why but the geese by me are MIA. I have seen very few fly over and even in local areas in parks and that where they are year round I have not see many. It is got me worried. So I am just wonderingif my day is a bustwhat would be some good thing forme to try out to get ready for the day theystart to comeover? I know with my labit is going to be training he with the decoys. I think I might bring a training dummy for that just incase. Since he has not been doing a retreive as of yet when I shot the gun at the same time that will be some good for him to.

Except for trying some calls I can not think of much to do. I just want to make the most out of my weekend so I do not feel like it was all for nothing or that in a month when regular season is open and they are coming in good and hot I am ready to go.

I do not see many post about what happens if I get board but thought I would ask. So far all most all the questions I have asked on this board has had a good tip or two for me so I figured what the hay and ask this.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What to do is the day is a bust? Being new things to learn

Get out and scout, apparently they have shifted into pre migration feeding patterns and are chowing on grain and greens!!! Best of luck to you!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:33 PM

Yea what is getting to me is their are no geese in my area. Even parks that have them year round. I have no idea what is up. I have a few pairs down by the pond and creek all summer but they left about a month ago.I think I might go farther down the creek and see what I can find.

I think it is the lack of rain we have had. Most of the year we were is a sevier drought and I think that is what caused the problem. I guess I will get out their and try some calls and see if I can get any to come out of hiding.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:04 AM

It was not a total bust today. Did not get a shot off at a goose but at least my Dog did great except for when I was setting up a spot to be at and he all of a sudden takes a walk in the cat tails on me. I was clearing the spotto put the stake in for himat the time.

I have to say my goose calls are a lot better. Just as I was wraping up for the day a flock few over butthey werehigh up. I started calling and about 6 of the back geese started to break from the formation and then the leadgeese started going off and they went back in line. (I have to say that got the blood flowing). A few times time I heard a goose and I did a call and I got a call back but it never came over. At least with hearing them I got my call better and better. What I thought was good at the start I know now was crap.

I learned a lot just lisening, and at the end of the day I did a little training with Mongo with firing the gun and tossing a dummy in the mix of the decoys. He did not even flinch with the gun (first time I shot it he looked and me going what was that for), and he went into the decoys and got the dummy with out even trying to grab one of them.

So for his first time working with decoys, in the feild,andwith agun I am very proud of him. His only hunt training was working with the dummies in the pond and tall grass and working with tips from other hunters.

Well I have to get cleaned up I am going boating this afternoon.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:50 PM

Try taking some bumpers and some pigeons along, and work on training the dog. If the dog is really well trained, then take a skeet thrower and some skeet loads and get in a box or two on clays...

Ifyou're a good enough hunter to say that both 1)the dog is well trained, and 2)the hunteris well trained, then you're probably a guide anyway and have much better places to hunt than the rest of us and probably don't get skunked as often as the rest of us!

I always keep a couple duck wings in my freezer after the end of each seasonto train the dog with, but I don't think I'd want the game warden to find them in my truck on a day when I had a goose spread out and didn't bag any birds, just easier not to provoke any questions. Probably better to use plain bumpers, fake duck scent, or maybe just a few flight feathers for the scent...
Old 09-08-2005, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: VTSEAL

Try taking some bumpers and some pigeons along, and work on training the dog. If the dog is really well trained, then take a skeet thrower and some skeet loads and get in a box or two on clays...

Ifyou're a good enough hunter to say that both 1)the dog is well trained, and 2)the hunteris well trained, then you're probably a guide anyway and have much better places to hunt than the rest of us and probably don't get skunked as often as the rest of us!

I always keep a couple duck wings in my freezer after the end of each seasonto train the dog with, but I don't think I'd want the game warden to find them in my truck on a day when I had a goose spread out and didn't bag any birds, just easier not to provoke any questions. Probably better to use plain bumpers, fake duck scent, or maybe just a few flight feathers for the scent...
Sicne I would not say that I am that good of a hunter yet when you mean pigeons do you mean live ones? I have to say I have never worked with live birds as of yet for training. I do have some duck wings that I bought last year I just have to get them out. I use the foam body duck and goose decoys and I have injected them with scent.

I might get a skeet tosser though for practice in the month between season nows. I just when I can find one cheap that I can use with out having someone else doing the pulling for me. I have done skeet but with limited shots going across me and more just going back.

If anyone knows of a good skeet puller for me please let me know that is something that I have not been able to find as of yet.