Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Camera Arms

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camera Arms

Me and my buddy recently purchased a XHA1 HD camera and were wondering if anyone had an extra camera arm for cheap or no where we could get one for a good price? thanks Jake
Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Camera Arms

I built my own and added a fluild head to it. Good for 30#. we use the canon as well. Cost was least than $50 and its built to what we need.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you spent the money to get a nice camera...I wouldn't go cheap on the camera arm. The accessories used can be just as important as the quality of camera used.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

a camera arm is just another toy to have.

I'd spend the money on something that will help you take care of your camera like a clear filter for your lens, a good waterproof camera cover, better tripod & head, wide angle or lens doubler.

Dependency on a camera arm is superfluous in my opinion. Of course that's IF you're shooting video for another hunter. If you're alone then sure, you've got to use something but there are some out there that are just ridiculously overpriced. ( I won't mention any names)
Old 03-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the gorilla camera arm...30 bucks...
Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

I believe a camera arm is a nessacity for steady footage from the tree.........but your footage is only going to be as good as the arms joints and head.......that said you need to match the weight of your camera to the correct arm ,much the same way you match it to the size of fluid head and tripod........I use the Hunter Cam cradle HD and shoot a Panasonic DVX100 which is comparable in size and weight to your camera.......some don't like that particular arm, but for the money I feel it is a good compromise between a cheap noisy arm and the most expensive (out of my budget) arm. I would suggest you find a buddy or someone that will let you play around with a couple different model arms and choose the one that works best for you.........most times you will know within a matter of minutes whether one particular arm is going to fit your style of hunting and videography.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

pm69442,

I don't think I could disagree more - but that's just my opinion.

Muddy Outdoors makes the best arm for the money. Throw a Bogan 501 head on-top and you're good to go. Quality isn't cheap - and we require a camera arm for any team members on our team. I don't enjoy watching shaky footage, and won't use it.

www.muddyoutdoors.com

Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

You guys crack me up.
the blatant & gratuitous plugs for sponsors and miscellaneous equipment is laughable.

Let me rephrase what I said: there are OTHER WAYS to get good/steady video besides using a camera arm. I also said that if you're alone you don't have much choice, do you?

I remember reading a post not long ago from one of your professionals who had just discovered the value of ballhead tripods & heads. After years of shooting video?

My main beef is the notorious misinformation that is passed along on video posts within hunting forums because of sponsorships, manufacturer plugs, or because that is what that particular poster owns/uses.

Let me say this again.........the internet is your friend/learn how to use it.

Have a good day
Old 03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pm69442

You guys crack me up.
the blatant & gratuitous plugs for sponsors and miscellaneous equipment is laughable.

Let me rephrase what I said: there are OTHER WAYS to get good/steady video besides using a camera arm. I also said that if you're alone you don't have much choice, do you?

I remember reading a post not long ago from one of your professionals who had just discovered the value of ballhead tripods & heads. After years of shooting video?

My main beef is the notorious misinformation that is passed along on video posts within hunting forums because of sponsorships, manufacturer plugs, or because that is what that particular poster owns/uses.

Let me say this again.........the internet is your friend/learn how to use it.

Have a good day
well said. I know I see alot of plugs here for the product as well as video sites to promote their vids of DVD's.

I try to have the best equipment I can and save money at the same time. I make my own gear if possible to suit haow I will do my vids. I do ask questions of how and what to use plus I make the best of the internet to gain knowledge of diff products. Eg. Mics those I cant make but who had the best was the question. After getting anwers and making calls I bought sennheiser mics and using them Iam more than imprssed. The deal I got was a little more than what was recommended on here to buy,but not by all that much , because I shopped and shopped and a deal came along. Iam a happy hunterlol
I bought a cradle arm and paid good money for it and it was not what I expected, from what I was told so I got a refund and made my own.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:43 PM

I think you all have gotten off the the question at hand.... the author of this thread wants to know where or if someone has a good camera arm for sale, not if or should he use one!!! And definitely this isn't a BIG conspiracy for the sponsors!! Now to answer the original question.... we use the Hunter Cam Cradle tree arms for our videoing with or without a cameraman. I can personally recommend the quality of them to fit the quality of the camera you are using. I've seen a few every now and then for sale on ebay used, but mostly it seems guys are keeping them. You could build your own if you are capable of doing it, or had access to buy the materials needed. I personally wouldn't recommend the cheap little arms you see for sale at the retail stores, they don't have fluid heads and also aren't really capable of handling the weight of the camera you have. They would tend to sag drastically and then you would be un level to pan around. Get good quality equipment, you won't be disappointed with the outcome of your video!! I might also recommend a remote LANC to go along with that setup, it will help to keep your hand movements to a concealed minimum. With this whole setup you will put yourself in great shape to seal the deal and shoot some great footage! Also mentioned before I might talk about, the lens filter.... If you do get one don't skimp, don't buy a $3,500 camera and glass and throw a $25 or $30 cheap piece of glass in front of it and expect it to be as good a quality as the original! I personally don't use a filter, same goes for photography! Use that lens cap to protect the front element when transporting, etc., otherwise get a high quality filter to use to protect the front element. Good luck on your filming this season!

Quick Reply: Camera Arms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.