Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Camera Arms

Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Camera Arms

ORIGINAL: Urban Legend

B and H is a great place. You may be able to price shop and find cheaper, but to me its not worth it. They usually have everything in stock, ship fast, and have great customer service. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
X2, but if you're on a budget check Ebay. There are a lot of good used tripods for sale there. You can usually find a good number of the 501s there as well.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Spike

Guys you may say that I am pluggin a sponsor but I like hte Huntercam Cradle line. I use the HD and the Pro model and love them both. Everyone talks about the price of an arm but do you really want to hang a prosumer or professional camera on a $30.00 arm. I don't and for what I need the Huntercam Cradle products work and they also have great customer service.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

www.gomuddy.com

Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

o wow! i really like the looks of that muddy arm
Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pm69442

a camera arm is just another toy to have.

I'd spend the money on something that will help you take care of your camera like a clear filter for your lens, a good waterproof camera cover, better tripod & head, wide angle or lens doubler.

Dependency on a camera arm is superfluous in my opinion. Of course that's IF you're shooting video for another hunter. If you're alone then sure, you've got to use something but there are some out there that are just ridiculously overpriced. ( I won't mention any names)
If you have intentions on commercially producing your footage, you better have a camera that is more freehand friendly, AND be one heck of a cameraman, to even consider not using a top end treearm and/or tripod when laying down footage.

I don`t care how neat the footage is, if I see camera shake, I am done watching.

But hey, if you are just taping for your own personal enjoyment......do what you feel comfortable with.

Also, when using a high quality arm/fluidhead/remote controller setup......capturing quality footage is much, much easier.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Justin

I saw that arm from Skip Enterprises this past weekend at the WI Deer Expor, and it looks pretty sweet. However, the $600 price tag is probably a wee bit high for me right now. For $200 the arm from Muddy Outdoors looks very similar and for most people I think will work great. In my case I have a GL2 that doesn't weigh much so I don't need the beefiest arm in the world. If I was to ever step it up to a bigger camera I believe Skip's arm would be the way to go. I really liked the dovetail feature he was working on so that the base folded down nice and small. That was pretty slick.

As for the guy who says you don't need an arm, he's right. You don't NEED an arm to film hunts, but from personal experience I will atest that it is much easier to get better quality footage with a good arm than without one. A more economical option for some people would be a shoulder mount, but the footage definitely has a tendency to be a little bit more jumpy. In my opinion, having a good arm and getting steady footage makes more of an impoact on the quality of your footage that stuff like a wide angle lens or even a better quality camera. If the footage gives me motion sickness when I watch it, I don't care how clear it is.
Justin, you are 100% correct. You do not need an arm near the size of the Skip arm for your GL2. There are many arms out there that will do a bangup job with a camera of that size/weight. If you upgrade cameras though.....you will have a unit that is heavier, and then that 600 might not look so big.

BTW, I do not use the Skip arm, but I did check it out pretty thoroughly, and it is a heck of an arm for all but the biggest cameras.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bama Buck

Guys you may say that I am pluggin a sponsor but I like hte Huntercam Cradle line. I use the HD and the Pro model and love them both. Everyone talks about the price of an arm but do you really want to hang a prosumer or professional camera on a $30.00 arm. I don't and for what I need the Huntercam Cradle products work and they also have great customer service.
Excellent machining and quality! Unfortunately they are not even close to being able to correctly handle any decent sized camera. And I have tried them.