Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Making Proffessional Hunting Videos (A must) >

Making Proffessional Hunting Videos (A must)

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Making Proffessional Hunting Videos (A must)

Old 03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Making Proffessional Hunting Videos (A must)

You won't be able to use those cameras for long. Everything is going to change real soon. BTW, what channel is whitetail addictions on? I would like to watch your show. Just curios, where was your show voted the 2nd best of the year?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Cheap consumer cameras to make professional video?? You're kidding, right.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Urban Legend

You won't be able to use those cameras for long. Everything is going to change real soon. BTW, what channel is whitetail addictions on? I would like to watch your show. Just curios, where was your show voted the 2nd best of the year?
Was on Mens channel... Now it will be on Pursuit channel... It was voted second at the annual video training / awards event by the other filmers who were on the show, we all had to watch everyone elses show and decide who's was best... The Guy who won had 3 kills, I only had one.
The DVD is just a collection of the TV shows put together without the commercials. That hunt and an interview with me discussing self filming are in Vol. #2 available at www.bloodbro.com there are about 12 or 13 hunts on that DVD about 1/2 of the TV year.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always had issues with run of the mill Mini DV cams when in low light....if the sun is shining and the sky is clear...I have taken awesome kills on vid....but after... I still can't use wireless mics....so I feel I have to shout....

Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Well I have all camcorders that range from $500 to $4000 and they all have their purpose. In low light I know I need my good low light cams. One thing I do is use the same brand of DV in each cam. I never zoom out of optical and go to digital. I watch my gains and do WB alot. No one has seen my vids to date but I will be realsing them come next spring. I build all my own equipment as in pods and use fluid heads that make it comfortable and easy to use for me.

I enjoy vids that are taking from trees, but it is something I dont do, even though I have tree stands. The hunter is in the stand being watched by a camcorder getting all his actions,and Iam on the ground. I get great angle shots of the kill this way from a diff angle. Its to make something diff because so much of the vids out there are the same. It takes alot of work and time to do it the way I do but to me its fun You need head phones as the hunter is whispering his actions to the cameraman, enabling to capture some great footage.

Bottom line here is what ever you have no matter what the cost you can have great vids.Be creative and different. I feel its harder to be creative if you dont have a camera man but there are still things you can do by yourself. Keep it natural as how it happened, dont do re takes to make it perfect, hunting isnt like that, and most hunters know. Every hunt is different in action and the persons reaction of a kill. Why make in phonny?

Happy shooting guys/girls
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Invest tens of thousands of dollars in starting a production company - thousands of hours of time (not being paid) - then put you're name on the final product. When you do that - then you can tell me self-filming and not using camera arms is ok.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

Who said anything about not using camera arms?????? Just because you have thousands of dollars invested in your equipment, doesn't guarantee you will get good footage, or that people will like what you're putting out. I've seen alot of high dollar crews go out and shoot subpar or boring footage, and I've seen some really impressive self videoed footage that I would rather watch anyday over the high dollar crap.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

Invest tens of thousands of dollars in starting a production company - thousands of hours of time (not being paid) - then put you're name on the final product. When you do that - then you can tell me self-filming and not using camera arms is ok.
Todd, with all due respect, what makes you and WKP successful is not your quality of footage and extra cameramen with camera arms. It is the formula you use for putting that footage together and the story you tell with the footage. I have seen plenty of footage out there that is leaps and bounds better than yours in terms of quality, but change the channel because it bores me. I have seen footage that practially makes me nauseous to watch because it is focusing in and out and bouncing so much, but I can't stop watching because what is going on is so intriguing.

The point I'm making is that with a good film editor and a good story you can make less than perfect footage work, but if you don't have an intersting story the best footage in the world won't help. So, while we should strive to produce the best quality footage possible, we should make sure that the story being captured in the footage is worth telling.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% man! I'm not saying I'm happy with all the footage we have/take - we're just really trying to get the quality as good as possible because I think it's more enjoyable to watch.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Hunting Bry hit the nail on the head.... We have expensive equipment, and we have cheap equipment... I would much rather have rock solid 3 chip footage everytime out... But I don't sit in hunting camp waiting for the weather to change, and I don't set up on cushy expensive leases that my viewers can't afford... Slipping into a bedding area on public land after a large well educated buck does not afford the luxery of a camera man in the 4 inch dia sapling I hang my stand in... I also cant get away with a camera the size of a tank hanging off the side of my tree..... I use the quality equipment when it can be used. Period... And I am selling an aufull lot of DVD's and I have not seen any negitive reviews.

Quick Reply: Making Proffessional Hunting Videos (A must)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.