Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Brock Ray School?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Brock Ray School?

Any reviews on Brock Rays school?? Especially the home study course?

http://www.outdoorvideoschool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id= 14&Itemid=29
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Brock Ray School?

Home study course????? Pretty much says it all right there does'nt it?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Lungbuster-

Some of us don't have the opportunity to go to a school for various reasons, so the home study course is something that would interest an individual like myself starting out in wildlife videography.

I'm just curious of the schools rep, and the HSC. Any other schools out there offer a HSC that you may know of??
Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

My point was this: it is a home study course, meaning that you will either be reading it from a book or from a cd on your computer............why not just go to your local library and check out some books on outdoor videography for free rather than pay someone to send you information you can get for nothing?

Also unless you have a camera and the home study course goes through all of the functions of that camera what good is the home study course...................the purpose of most schoolsshould beto familiarize you intimately with the functions of the video camera as well as teaching you framing, shooting angles, and other things to fine tune your videography skills........but in my opinion if you are not intamately familiar with your camera's functions you will not lay down good footage no matter what you read or who tells you how to do it............out of focus, too dark, or the wrong color balance is probably worse than the wrong camera angle or what someone says is the wrong subject framing........

trouthunter, I was not trying to be sarcastic..........just making a point that you shouldn't pay for something that may or may not be useful to you when you can get the information for free.Go to your library and check out some books these books were recomended to meby Larry D. Jones:Bare Bones Camera Course for Film and Video and Video Goals: Getting Results with Pictures and Sound....... if your library doesn't have them you can order them here:http://tomschroeppel.home.att.net/.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:39 PM

LB-
Thanks for the info. I realize that there are other sources out there. Your idea of the library is excellent. I want to purchase something good to keep on the shelf at home to read and for quick reference as needed. I’m definitely going to look into the books you listed.
I was curious about this home study course because they are advertising many of the points you list, as well as the course being a “take home” version of their actual school. It is a DVD, CD-Rom software, and course book that apparently cover items like getting to know your camera, sound and lighting, & hunting & fishing setups pertaining to outdoor videography. Just sounds (as I said, as advertised) like some good material for 50 bucks. I was just hoping someone on here had visited this school and had some input.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM

I would suggest that if you want to start learning about wildlife videography and photography, just start doing it. It will probably suck the first couple times but experience is the best teacher. I think Lungbuster's idea with a simple library book is great. This will give you the basic foundations of camera function, angles, lighting, etc. and then taking that knowledge into the woods is not hard at all.

I was actually fortunate enough to get a 4 year education in video production and to be honest, I learned more outside of classroom than I did in it. I was always working on my own projects and by the time we were learning material in class, I found that I already knew most of it because I probably screwed it up out in the field. If I had it to do over again, I would've not even gone to school and just started working in the industry. Icould've moved a lot quicker. Not saying thatschooling is a bad thing. But there may be other options that willsave you time and money. Good luck with your endeavors!

www.predatorhouse.com