Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

filming yourself

Old 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Default filming yourself

has anybody filmed themselves hunting with out anybody with you?
How did it work.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:21 PM

Default RE: filming yourself

I film my self quite a bit. When ever possible I have a camera man, but I hunt every day I can regardless. So when I can't have a camera man I use a small camera arm with a small digetal consumer modal. At 1st it was very diffacult. And really it still is, but Ive made strides. The problom seems to be that you really cannot predict the exact movements of a deer good enough to get the camera pointed where he will stop perfect for a shot zoom in and make that shot. My best self film job was this last season when I shot a nice 14 point in Wisconsin at a water hole. I was able to have the camera set to the spot where he would drink and when he walked into the middle of the screen and got a drink, I tossed an arrow thru him.... But that is the best. When I 1st started self filming it caused me some heart aches with lost deer when I tried to force the shot on film. And I also shot some just as they steped off the screen.
I have messed around with other methods like hat cams and bow arms but recieved less than TV quality doing so. One thing that has helped me alot is the fact that I self film while I have a camera man now... Heck, two angles are better than one for the editors and I get plenty of practice for when I am by myself.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 AM

MAYBE DONT ZOOM IN AS MUCH...THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR ALSO BUT I HAVE READ ALOT AND MOST OF THE ARTICLES SAY TO NOT ZOOM IN FILLING THE DEER ON THE SCREEN...AND DONT ZOOM OUT TO MUCH ALSO LIKE ...PIKTURE A DEER WALKING LEFT YOU REACH TO YOUR CAMERA AND PUT IT ABOUT 10 YDS IN FRONT FALOOWING HIM AND THEN WHEN YOU ARE READY TO MAKE YOU SHOT ZOOM IN TO WHERE THERE IS A GOOD 5 YDS IN FRONT AND A YARD IN BACK JUST TO MAKE SURE IF HE DOES WALK A BIT FORWARD YOU STILL HAVE A GOOD CHANCE TO GET HIM ON FILM
Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

i did...i bought a gorrilla camera arm and that thing is slick! just like a second man it the tree!
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

This was my first year filming also, and my suggestion, get a tripod for on the ground and a camera arm for in a treestand. If you hunt alot from a treestand a camera arm is invaulable, but takes some getting used to.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:45 AM

i do every once in a while but rather have my camera man