Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant

Old 05-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pheasant

I have a 40' x 40' A-frame flight pen. The height is 12' at the peak and 6' on the edges.
I have a 10' x 10' lean cover built in the Northwest corner. It is 12" high near the bottom and 30" high at the top of the lean. I place a lot of marsh hay and straw under the lean for inclement weather (hey it is Wisconsin after all). I actually found the plans for the pen on the internet. The website also provided the sources for the building materials (top flight netting, galvanized 1" fencing, feeders and waterers etc.). I'm sorry, I don't remember the website, but I thought it was easy to find through the search engine.

Are you raising them to be hunted or for dinner? Two different foods and pens are needed depending on this. The starting food is the same but then hunted birds are feed a "flight conditioner" food, where the dinner birds are feed a growth feed.

The pens for the dinner birds don't need to be as high. Where the hunted birds need a flight pen that should give them some space/height to excercise their wings for flushing in the field.

I will try to get some photos to post on here for you.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

there for hunting im going to try central tractor they sell stuff for baby ducks/chick so they might have some of the stuff for my birds
Old 05-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Anybody have suggestions for hunting pheasant in northern colorado? I know we have wild birds, but I dont know where I can go and what area is best. In just got a new shotgun this year and cant wait to use it. I used to hunt in oklahoma near enid for pheasant and in illinois. Its a whole new game! EJ
Old 05-21-2005, 04:56 AM
Spike

Allseasonhunter7,

I don't know if you searched the NYSDEC website on raising pheasants.

I do know that a license is required to do this unless the laws have change.

Here is a link that may help in construction of pens, brooders ect.

NYSDEC Pheasant Rearing Guide

As far as shooting preserves go and the opportunity for "wild pheasants" in NYS. 90% of the pheasants are release either year round in NYS or during the pheasant-hunting season.

Long Island has drawn thousands of people from all over the state since they started the pheasant release program on state managed lands and co-op lands. All state and co-op lands on Long Island that are stocked with pheasants during the hunting season my be hunted by reservation and standby only on opening day, weekends and holidays. Access to these lands during the hunting season are on a daily permit only. These permits can be obtained from the Ridge Hunter Check Station in Middle Island.

I think the phone # is 924-3156

I can assure you that these pen-raised birds that come from the state run Reynolds Game Farm in Ithaca are a challenge. The birds a released the night before the hunts and have a chance to disperse. Many people return to the check station without seeing a bird, while those that have dogs get there daily limit of (4) hen or cock.

I have hunted Pheasants on long Island for over 30 years and have always gotten my birds. I may not have limited out ever time but I have never come home skunked. The way they have the food plots set up is definitely a far chase scenario.

Stuart Air force base also has the same opportunity for pheasant hunting. The only catch there is it is first come first serve, and if you happen to be to late there is a cut off at a certain number.

Steve/X-LINY
Pheasant Hollow Farm
West Virginia
Old 05-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks i did get a big bookllet and every thing is pretty much sitiuatied