Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Lab + waders = pheasants + mallards >

Lab + waders = pheasants + mallards

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Lab + waders = pheasants + mallards

Old 11-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lab + waders = pheasants + mallards

Today was perfict to hunt a public marsh for pheasants , nice and sunny ,some wind and the first in 4 that it's not raining.
I found several high spots in the marsh 1/2 to 5 acers. After the opening 2 weeks the easy to hunt open grass feilds don't hold 1 bird ,they all head for the marsh.
To get to the high ground ( usaly 1' above the water level) you have to walk 300 or so yds through the marsh and cross 2 areas 3'deep .
I have to use non toxic shot in the marsh.
My lab and I only had to hunt 75 yds down the first area to get my limit (2 roosters) and I got 2 drake mallards also on the way out.
Also I have never seen an other pheasant hunter bother to wade in where I hunt.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:20 AM

Default RE: Lab + waders = pheasants + mallards

yes sir, you'd be surprised where the pheasants go! We were walking in like 5 inches deep of water and we got our limit, i mean birds were everywhere. Congrats on your hunt! any pics?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I had to get ready for thanksgiving supper . I just had time to skin and gut the birds before I was late
Old 12-03-2004, 11:49 AM

Used to pond jump ducks when I was a kid growing up in central nebraska-don't know how many times I would be sneaking through the cattails in an inch or so of water and scare up roosters. Decided to I just as well take both while I was out so even if I didn't see ducks on the water I would still wade into the edge of the water and work the reeds back and forth. Don't remember ever coming home without a rooster in the bag even on days when the ducks didn't cooperate.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 PM

I have found that good duck hunting ground makes for great upland hunting too. A buddy and I were duck hunting on some DU land we had permission to hunt and jumped a few pheasants and a covey of quail we also saw several deer. Indicates to me that money given to DU is not just good for ducks but for alot game.