Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Phesant for the first time

Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Phesant for the first time

I am goign phesant hunting for the first time In the begining of January. What should I proctice as far as clay birds or any other helpful techniques.

thanks,

Tim
Old 12-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Phesant for the first time

My first question would be what type of cover, and private or public land? The next, with or without a dog?
I always practice crossing, quartering, and straight away. Most of the time that covers them all, but if you are hunting public you will have roosters flushing long. A few might hold tight hoping that you will pass them by.
Good luck to ya.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:08 PM

Tim,

Where are you going hunting for pheasant in Jan? Just wondering, if it's late season, be ready with the quick draw. What kind of gun are you using? Late season, I start with a 7 1/2 shot, then follow with 6's. Wait for them to get out alittle ways before shooting, good luck and hunt hard.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:25 PM

Best bet is to always walk into the wind when hunting in the late season-expect them to be wild and don't take shots you can't have a reasonable chance of hitting-almost any bird wounded in the late season from too little shot will die a miserable death. When you do get up on them there first flush will most likely be away from you so shooting trap won't do you much good. If you want to practice find a skeet range and practice from positions 2-5.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

I must disagree some what with the post on shot size selection If your hunting Jan. late season wild birds they will most likely flush wild and you will need some punch in your loads I would recomend 4's but I do know of guys going as big as 2's but if the birds your hunting are preserve or pen raised birds follow the advice of the other post and you should be O.K.