Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Quality upland clothing

Old 11-12-2004, 08:33 AM

Default Quality upland clothing

I am looking for quality upland jacket and chaps that won’t break my bank. I recently bought a Browning Jacket and chaps at the start of our season. The Jacket has ripped and the Velcro on the chaps are going to have snaps installed after season.
Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Quality upland clothing

How big is your bank? and Where do you plan on going to hunt? Why do you want a jacket instead of a vest?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:13 PM

I have a vest I wear in warmer months and for Dog Training. Id like to spend no more than 150-200$ for both. I do mostly phesants in nasty cover
Problem is most of our sporting good stores sell cheap stuff. I thought this browning stuff was step up and Id get 3-4 seasons but its falling apart season 1.
Thanks
TE
Old 11-12-2004, 12:53 PM

Filson. Only problem I have with my Filson coat is that the cut around the belly is too big. I bought an XL and it fits my shoulders but there is room for a whole lot more of me in the gut, and I'm not a slender person. Single tin chaps will work well, they make double tin but I haven't bought a pair. I hunt mostly out in the upper midwest [NE to MT] and there are not too many briars, compared to what I've seen out east. If you have briars you may want to get the double tin. I have owned my Filson garments going on 6 years now and have yet to see em fail. Finally have a small hole in the left sleeve of my coat but that's it.
There is a place I've found in Williamsburg, MO called Crane's Store who sells Filson. They are not on the web but look em up via Yellow pages and call them. They'll price you their specials via fax and can save you some decent money. Look At a Filson catalog, they may make a different style coat that won't be too roomy in the gut. Jacket and Pants Should come to your door at or under budget.
I bought a pair of Cabelas Goretex Briar pants last season and love them as well. $119.00. They leaked this Oct on a trip and I sent back. They were replaced at no charge. They kept me very dry for probably 200 hours in the field and I will look forward to the next 200 hours maybe more out of this pair.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:52 PM

Filson!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:49 PM

I have to agree that Filson is the way to go. I bought one of their coats about four years ago and it is tough as nails. If your hunting in some nasty stuff their coat will protect you. The tin clothe is surprisingly warm too. It seems like it wouldn't be, but it really retains your body heat. One word of warning. The material is stiff, so make sure it fits well, or even a bit large in the shoulders, and practice your gun mounting repeatedly with the coat on before you hunt in it. You will notice that it changes your gun mount a bit because of it's stiffness. Anyway, I hear they break in well at around ten years old.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:15 PM

I love my Filson single tin chaps. The double tin are a little nicer, but the single work for me and my budget. I spent about $60.00 on my set and they have a lifetime warrenty. Some hardware/saw shops carry them.

Just don't do what I did for the vest. I have a $15.00 GI Joes Sport Store special that MAY last two seasons. I spent my money on a new fly fishing vest instead. That and extra shells because I have pretty bad aim and need a lot of practice.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:13 AM

One more vote for Filson.
I think it is probably the best.
Expensive, but they'll last.

I have a hunting jacket, and the combo shelter cloth/tin cloth pants, and a wool mackinaw vest.
I where them working and hunting and they are functional.

A note about the wool vest.
"I wear it alot".

Oops! I almost forgot.
My wife was kind enough to let me get a 'Waterfowlers Sweater' last month.
It is the 'berries'.

One thing I've always believed and seen to be true is that if ya get good stuff--it'll take care of you for a long time.
Then ya give it to the kids and grandkids.

john in NH and headed to Montana next week.
Yee hah!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

I wear Carhartt double faced pants and I hunt ruff stuff in KS. They may not be perfect in cactus where I hunt Scale Quail, but my chaps don't work either. At $40 a pair, they work well. I don't wear a jacket at all, I layer with Capilene and wool shirts, perfect. If I need a layer against wind I put on a shell. I spent my money on a vest, a Quilomene. It cost me $150.00, well worth the price. I have room for everything I want to carry and water for my dogs and me. Best purchase I ever made, my back and shoulders don't hurt at the end of the day. They did with my Columbia vest. With this system I can handle any temp range and any cover.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-29-2004, 12:16 PM

Can't go wrong with Filson. Trust me, I've tried to ruin this stuff and I can't. I bought the double tin chaps about 5 years ago and wear 'em for any kind of hunting in the brush. I've worn completely through 2 pairs of leather boots just from crashing through greenbriars and such but the chaps are still kicking strong. I also have the uplander coat (style 635 or 435, don't remember, too lazy to go check, lol.) If you think of it like I do, it costs more to buy 2 or 3 cheap jackets/chaps because they don't last than it does to buy a good set the first time. Good luck with your purchasing!