Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

New Hampshire birds

Old 09-26-2004, 04:26 PM

Default New Hampshire birds

Are there many NH bird hunters out there?
Old 09-27-2004, 12:22 PM

Default RE: New Hampshire birds

There are a few of us. Judging by the #'s of guys I see in the field, not very many at all. I have never met another grouse hunter in the field. Even pheasant after the opener, you are likely to have a field for yourself.

This Friday though .. game on!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:34 AM

One more NH Bird hunter.
Going for Grouse in Pittsburg this weekend.
Any advise? (I havent been Grouse hunting
since my youth!)
Old 10-12-2004, 11:01 PM

There is another upland site out there with lots of guys from NH and the east. If you do a google search under upland birds you'll find it.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:59 AM

FlySarge,

Have been out about 6 times so far, and the grouse numbers have been a little low in my areas. The nice thing though is the woodcock have been a little more plentiful to make up the difference.

Good luck on your Pittsburg trip, please post your results and some pictures.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:56 PM

FlySarge:

I would go on past Pittsburg and follow the river and look for dirt roads that follow the creeks coming in from the west.

There is lots of great cover up there!

Good luck.

The 'flush rate' for 'Ruff' has been pretty good so far, this year in the south. No woodcock, though--although I've heard others have seen and shot woodcock, in the southern part of the state this season.

I was walking along a wood trail the other day and spied a sunny grassy area on a south facing bank and said to myself; "self, if I was a grouse, I'd be sittin' right there munchin' and sunnin'.

Sure enough I walked over and BLAST!...right under my feet, there he goes--a big fat Ruffed Grouse. Blam went the gun and off went the bird. Clean miss and I couldn't flush him again. Darn. I shoulda been payin' closer attention.

I think those birds have degrees of 'higher' education, or something.

I'll be back..........john
Old 10-13-2004, 06:29 PM

I'm another NH pa'tridge huntah. There are plenty of us out there, especially in the northern part of the state. I've had good success up there, going back this weekend. 2 or 3 years ago they seemed pretty darn scarce. Last year they were there, but we had to get off the trails to really get into them. This year I've practically been stepping on them.

FlySarge, just look at your Delorme atlas and start walking tote roads and logging trails. The dirt roads marked on the map usually have tons of trails coming off of them that aren't on the map. You'll get into them.

jmcg, where in the south of the state are you talking about? I have had absolutely no luck around the seacoast, but I keep hearing about the odd grouse here and there. I usually just jump ducks around the salt marshes.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:23 PM

Qras:

I'm taking north and west-west of the manch complex.
There be birds in 'dem woods.
Ayuh.

Old 10-16-2004, 06:54 PM

I'm traveling up to Pittsburg from Boston this week. I make the trip at least once every year. The hunting is great there. I subscribe to the theory of hunting for Grouse cover, and then letting the dog do the rest. I'll be in southern NH tomorrow getting a little exersize for me and the dog before the real fun begins.
Anyway, good luck.