Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dove Guns/Shells

Old 09-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dove Guns/Shells

What does everyone use for ammo and guns for dove hunting?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:51 AM

Default RE: Dove Guns/Shells

I'll be using my Rizinni Aurum Classic 20 ga and Fiocchi VIP loads, this year. I never shoot that Wal-mart cheap loads.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 AM

Browning Citori .20- Winchester AA (7 1/2)
Or my old trusty Benelli Nova .12 with Super X's
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Remington 1100 with Remington Sure-Shot Heavy Dove #6. I am not real picky about the brand of ammo, but I usually have much better luck with #6 than with #7 1/2 or #8. Goes out a little further and penetrates a little better. However, this weekend I didn't see any birds to shoot at, so I killed some clays. It is going to take another cold snap or two to move some birds in my direction.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:11 PM

Franchi Veloce 20ga with 7 1/2 Federal or Winchester loads.

Stalker I bought some of the Winchester Super Speed loads at Walmart and was not impressed. I'll use them up for trap shooting and will go back to the Federal premium for the field.

North Tex The birds should be in Texas soon. They seemed to have left Washington on Saturday night.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be using my Rizinni Aurum Classic 20 ga and Fiocchi VIP loads, this year. I never shoot that Wal-mart cheap loads.
Must be nice
Old 09-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stalker I bought some of the Winchester Super Speed loads at Walmart and was not impressed.
I wasnt to impressed with them either.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer my Mossberg 500A but currently waiting on a new magazine tube for it, So this season I am using my Mossberg 835. As for shells I reload both Federal gold medal and winchester AA hulls in the federal hulls I have 2 loadings one is a lighter load pushing 1 1/8 ounce of #6 or #7.5 shot at 1200 fps my other loading is 1 1/4 ounce of #6 shot at 1220 fps ( my specialty load when the birds are keeping their distance) In the winchester AA hulls I have 2 loadings one is a experiment that exceeds and outpeforms the winchester super speed shells pushes 7/8 ounce of #7.5 shot at 1400 fps the other is for the faster low flying birds helps with not having to put to much of a lead on the bird even at range of 40 yards the needed lead is quite minimal about one bird length, this load pushes 1 1/8 ounce of #7.5 or #8 shot at 1585 fps. Everyone good luck and have lots of fun hope you all get your bag limit.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

A rizinni is fine gun almost to fine to have in the hunting field If I had a rizzini Id use it for trap only. But do whatever pleases you. Just I am having a hard time trying to figure out what makes you think Fiocchi VIP loads are so much better then the bulk federal shells at walmart you came off making it sound like you and your gun are to good to use a cheaper priced load, If the VIP load works the best in your gun then I can't argue with that. But if you say that based on the thought that because a shell is higher priced its higher quality then the cheaper priced stuff you are very very wrong. If you think Fiocchi uses a cleaner burning powder then the bulk federal shells at walmart you are wrong once again, Fiocchi and federal both buy their powders from the same companies. ammunition companies pretty much buy their powder from who ever has the lowest price at the time. I know Federal and fiocchi have used powder from Alliant, hodgdon and IMR but have also used imported powders too and in some cases they have even used powders manufactured in russia most likely the same stuff used in Wolf shotgun shells and its some dirty stuff. The point I am making is that just because you think something is better it is not always better. If you call up a ammunition company an ask what powder they use they can never give you a straight answer other then for example "we use special blended propellants" what that means in english is we dont always use the same kind or type of powder. The only way to always know what grade of powder is being burned in your gun is to reload. Something else you probably didnt know is PMC and Fiocchi use the same hulls. Would you use PMC loads or are they too low of quality for you? Well maybe you just have an image to uphold and think your yuppy friends at the counrty club will laugh at you if you use a cheaper shell in your 20,000 dollar shotgun. I just wanted to point out that comment you made about "That wal mar cheap loads" makes you sound Stupid. Don't come off making dumb comments untill you know all the facts first.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kind of rough on a guy for not shooting the walmart shells, aren't we? I shoot a cheap shotgun and I don't even use the cheap shells in it. Personal preference. Ease up a tad. No one said they were inferior. I just don't buy anything at Walmart that I can buy somewhere else, regardless if it costs a little more.

Quick Reply: Dove Guns/Shells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.