Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Ok, found the birds, lots of them >

Ok, found the birds, lots of them

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Ok, found the birds, lots of them

Old 08-31-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Ok, found the birds, lots of them

Its my first year dove hunting and The season opens tomarrow. I found a pond with TONS of doves there. There must be three or four hundred. I have a feeling lots of people are going to be there tomarrow. Whats the best way to hunt them? I was told to just sit in one spot and shoot them flying and was also told to just hunt around and jump shoot them. They seem to be real skitish. Even when they see my truck they fly all crazy and take off! They look like there going to be hard to hit. Any advice?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok, found the birds, lots of them

What state are you in, you must be hunting public property if you think people are going to be there..........i will be going tommorrow as well here in ohio. I would dress light bring plenty of water and shells and a cooler to keep your birds in, and some food and drinks of course, sunglasses, a hat a positive mental attitude. Pass shooting is really the way i like to hunt em, if u find there roost dont go near it, they will not come back to it if u jump them from the roost..........just stay away a few hundred yards and shoot the tar outta them, its fun and they taste great! This is my dove hunting buddy trigger!

Old 08-31-2004, 02:59 PM

I'm in Oregon. It's public land. I talked to a guy that said last year it was a war zone opening morning.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:46 PM

It probably will be a war zone. Don't be shocked at having people hunting in close proximity to you. Hunting from one spot is the way to hunt doves. The only time I will walk any up is when no one else is around and they are not flying. In a field with other hunters, esp. opening day, it is generally not accepted to hunt on foot. If it is crowded just be patient and pick your shots.