Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Found lots of deer hair on a trail..... >

Found lots of deer hair on a trail.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Found lots of deer hair on a trail.....

Old 12-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Found lots of deer hair on a trail.....

I was walking up a trail this morning, and I noticed much of the trail had little clumps of deer hair. Most of it was white (probably from the belly area) and some was half white, and half brown. Is it possible that someone could have shot a deer and just graze it? Something strange I noticed was that there was no blood at all. I also thought that maybe someone shot a deer, dressed it and then maybe some hair fell off when it was being dragged down the trail. But like I said, there was no blood at all. Any thoughts as to what could have happened?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Found lots of deer hair on a trail.....

how long was the trail of hair? i say it was dragged down the trial.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

If grazed the hair should look cut, not full length. It is possible it is from a dragged out deer and they field dressed it elsewhere. Also possible from a buck or even doe scrap they tend to lose a bit of hair in a tustle.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

when my dad shot his deer there was hair everywhere....not a drop of blood anywhere..the leaves were wet and he followd the trail she kicked up and found her about 60 yards away from where she was hit....no blood at all...just hair at the impact area.....and i found another area someone shot one the same thing...hair everywehre..it was wet and i found one drop of blood and didnt look any more....but thats what a hit will do sometimes.....
Old 12-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wasn't a continuous line of hair along a trail, but more like some hair here, then go up the trail just a little and there is a few more clumps of hair. The trail was fairly long, I'd say at least 250 feet from the first clump of hair to the next, maybe longer. There didn't seem to be much, if any, evidence of dragging.

I talked to a few other hunters, no one has shot a deer as far as I know, but its possible.