Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Hunting Wild Pheasants & Camping >

Hunting Wild Pheasants & Camping

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Hunting Wild Pheasants & Camping

Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Hunting Wild Pheasants & Camping

Hi all,
1st, I'm new to this webpage, so I hope I am posting correctly. I am looking for some information on going pheasant hunting for wild birds in either Iowa or South Dakota. I would like to find a place to camp, as I have a trailer camper. Can anyone offer any advise and information on this? Thanks much!

Shootmorebucks
Old 07-22-2004, 01:17 AM

Default RE: Hunting Wild Pheasants & Camping

Hi,
The area surrounding Spirit Lake in Northwest Iowa has over 10 thousand acres of public hunting land. There are many camping areas also. Go to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources site. Non toxic shot is required since most of the land is US Fish and Wildlife land. Lots of natural grass as well as some food plots and marsh. acres and acres of rolling prarie. There are lots and lots of birds there as well. A good dog is a must. Quite a bit of legwork is the norm as well. But it's all worth it.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:27 PM

Default RE: Hunting Wild Pheasants & Camping

well, there are may good places in south dakota. The northeast part of the state has some good hunting. i dont know how many publice walk in areas there are up there. but there are some pretty good public walk in areas around the town of howard, or artesian-letcher. and im sure that howard has a campground or sometown near by has one. or chamberlain has a ton of good pheasant hunting land.