Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 camping and hunting at the same time question >

camping and hunting at the same time question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

camping and hunting at the same time question

Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default camping and hunting at the same time question

So over my winter break from college I am planning on making a trip to the National Forest near me (I live in Virginia) and hunt/camp for 3 days. I figure i will mostly still hunt the ridges, but also may make a blind if i can find a good trail and set up off of that. I dont want any of the deer spooking because of me camping in the area, so should i camp way down in a hollow and hike up the ridge? Has anybody ever done this? Any other good tips on hunting public land/ land i have never been on?

thanks for the input fellas.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Default RE: camping and hunting at the same time question

I have gotten lucky and killed deer just over a half mile from where I camped.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last night there were 3 deer about 150 yds away from my house, they are curious animals so I wouldn't really worry about it.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 AM

I have wanted to do the same thing. I just never took the time to do it. If you do this I suggest staying away from hollows for two reasons. First, if it rains you could be washed out, and during the night the cold air will sink down into the hollows. What part of the National Forest did you have in mind?
Old 10-12-2006, 08:51 AM

That sounds like a ton of fun! We just bought a pop up with a furnace this year, I love it, we used it a bunch this summer. We were suppose to take it up to Michigan to hunt gun season up there, but since I will be 8 months pregnant, we are just going to stay at his dad's house instead... maybe next year.

Either way, have fun and make a few memories!

Oh yah, and good luck with the deer!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

Last night there were 3 deer about 150 yds away from my house, they are curious animals so I wouldn't really worry about it.
Here's the deal, deer that live in remote areas aren't used to seeing humans, and when they suddenly do come in contact with humans, they don't know what to think of them, and then they become curious, also have in mind they may have never been fired at before, and they might not know what's going on.
My family owns land in Nebraska, and before my mom and dad were married, he took her out there to see what it was like, my dad pointed out some deer, but with my mom (being a city-girl) she couldn't see them, somy dad took a .22 with a scope a tried to fire close to them in order to spook them do they will move.
Those deerdidn't budge!! Because they'd never been fired at before and didn't know the danger. If you live in a more populated, or more heavily hunted area, chances arethe deer will be quite skittish, hence keeping you from getting an easy shot at them without having to pt some effort into it.

Bottom line, if you live in Montana, the deer are not going to have much trouble getting within 100 yards of you, but in the more populous areas, such as Virginia,the minute they see you in hunter orange
(or as they see it in white), they'll startsticking those tails up!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Buck Huntin Girl,

When my wife was about 5-6 months pregnant, it improved her golf swing.
What does it do for your shootin' skills?
And does your husband still make you drag the deer out?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: USNRETHunter

And does your husband still make you drag the deer out?
[/align]

Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

i have shot deer while standing in camp... every deer is different so every one will react different ... we camp pretty close sometimes i have actually been able to see camp from my stand and still shoot deer.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the reason that she won't fire a gun is because she's afraid that thefirst shotwill scare her intolabor!

Quick Reply: camping and hunting at the same time question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.