Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Browning, Weatherby or Winchester Shotgun? >

Browning, Weatherby or Winchester Shotgun?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Browning, Weatherby or Winchester Shotgun?

Old 07-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Browning, Weatherby or Winchester Shotgun?

I´m looking into a new O/U shotgun, I was interested in Browning and Weatherby, but a friend told me that the Winchester Select was a nice gun.

Browning has a reputation that precedes its products but as for Weatherby and Winchester I have a few questions.

Weatherby shotguns are made by SKB?

As for Winchester, I was told that they were made in Belgium by FN. Are they a cheaper version of Brownings?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning, Weatherby or Winchester Shotgun?

Nothing against any of those O/U but I love my Beretta's. Nice weight and great handling.

If you do go with Browning- I really like there White Lightning.

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 07-13-2004, 10:26 AM

I have two Weatherby Orions. One in 20 ga nad the other 12 ga. I love them both. The reason I went with Weatherby over Browning is that a buddy had a Citori and if the gun has a misfire (reloads) you don't get a shot till you unload and recock. weatherby has a mechanical cocking so it doesn't need recoil to cock. Don't know about Winchester. My Weatherbys both have beautiful wood and I had always wanted that in a gun. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:09 AM

I usually carry a Berretta 686 onyx. I love it. I have an older winchester 101 but it is heavier and has fixed chokes. As far as the ones you mentioned, any would do you well. They are all extremly well built.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:09 AM

I believe that Weatherby's are made by SKB. Winchester is now owned by the same group that owns Browning. the FN plant in Belgium is where Brownings were made for years. Either the Winchester or Browning would serve you well. Many of the features of the Winchester are found in the Browning guns. If you want to look stateside, Rugers are a good gun for the money as well. Myself, I am partial to Brownings. I hunt with a Citori lightning in 12 gage. Berettas are very nice guns as well. My dream though, is to find a nice Browning superposed.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Look at all the top makers in your price range and then decide on what fits and feels good to you.