Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 What load for phesants with a 12 ga. >

What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

Old 08-14-2004, 12:31 PM

Default RE: What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

i use a #2 and it brings it down in one shot
Old 08-15-2004, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive always used just a field load with 3 to 3 1/4 dram equivalents and 1 to 1 1/8 oz of #6 or #7 1/2 shot with a modified choke. But on days when the pheasant are more skittish and jump and further distances then a high brass 3 3/4 dram equivalents with 1 1/4 oz of #4 or #5 shot with a full choke is ideal.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:31 PM

Ok my young friend as a licenced guide here in Nova Scotia using Springers and Setters when it comes to pheasants the 12 gauge offers more opportunity as to load.The conditions you hunt in may determine the load you use and for some areas you may have to use Non-Toxic shot (steel,tungsten,bismuth).For a new pheasant hunter if you can get yourself aquainted with someone who is experienced with the birds in your area this would be a great way to learn.I use #6 and 5 lead in 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 in steel #4 at least 1 1/4.A wild rooster can move and deserves proper respect practice good follow through let the pattern take him at 35 to 45 yds and above all good luck in the field.Fielddog(Mike byonderbrae gundogs)
Old 08-20-2004, 12:42 AM

I shoot a 1 1/4oz Federal #6's... Seem to work pretty good on wild Roosters in Michigan... and they can be pretty hard to come by up here. This same load works great for Grouse as well!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

depends on how you hunt.....i cant count the ringnecks i killed with a 12ga shooting reloads of 7.5shot.....i think 1 1/8oz loads too.....every pheasant i killed was like that.......but my buddys dad took us and he had some GREAT dogs......dog would keep the birds right there till we got there.......and they flushed at our feet every time......but now i dont hunt like that.......im busitng corn fields and everywhere where the birds are with buddys......no dogs...and they are flushing a little ways away.......so i got some 7.5 copper plated high brass remington high velocity stuff.....its going to CRUSH a pheasant im sure......them things are MEAN.......im willing to bet i kill my fall turkey with that load too......being i pheasant and turkey hunt at the same time......i know it will take a turkey.....cant wait to hunt with them.......i saw a guy shot #4s and the bird was in 2 pieces.......i like a smaller shot.......more shot in there and better patterns..........but thats me.....im not shotting 100yards at pheasants .......
Old 09-07-2004, 05:31 PM

i dropped one of mine with regular dove load last year but most of the time i use #6
Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 AM

I 'am Hunting pheasants in Yugoslavia , and meet many hunters from Italy , Hungaru and Izrael.
And we are all using 12 gauge Shootguns with loads from 2.5mm to 3.5mm.
In late season (winther)we pass on loads from 3.0mm to 4.0mm.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt both wild and gun club birds. On wild birds I put #5 lead in the chamber and Hi-velocity #3 and #2 steel in the magazine using a modified choke. Steel patterns about one choke tighter than lead so you get a tighter pattern for the second or third shot. Gun club birds get Imp. Cyl choke with a #7 1/2 trap load in the chamber and mag #6 in the magazine. You would be surprised how far that mag #6 load is effective out of the Imp Cyl. choke. Once I shoot my share of the birds I switch to my "wild" bird setup and "cover" my hunting partners for the rest of the hunt. That may change because my dad is going to shooting school this fall so his misses should be reduced.

This system drops more birds and shoots up less birds for me.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: pharaoh2

Back to the start, my favorite pheasant load is discontinued. Remington had a 2 3/4 magnum field load in #6 that absolutly dropped them like a rock. i made a piss-poor judgment once, and fired at a rooster that, after we paced it, fell about 70 yards away! It was pure luck, and i know it. I will also never try it again. Now federal cartridge is offering similar 1 1/4 oz loads. I will try them this fall, as I'm running out of my remington loads.
Check out Kent.

I was in the same boat as you with the Remington. This spring I tried Kent's Ultimate Upland and was stunned with the performance.2 3/4". 1 1/2 oz #6, 4 1/4 dram, 1400 fps. They also use a special type of polished lead shot called "diamond shot" that appears to be harder than any of the other lead shot being used by Remington, Federal, etc... It didn't hurt that they were a bit cheaper than any of the other magnum loads (under $60 for 10 boxes).

I bought a case of the Kent ammo before a European style 300 bird release here in NH this last March. In my opinion, the Kent worked as good if not better than the Remington 2 3/4 magnum I had been using before. I don't plan on using anything else this season both for wild birds, and game farms.

Good luck this fall! 8 days left until bird season opens here in NH! I can't wait!
JBacon
Old 09-23-2004, 05:42 PM

Heck I just use the cheapest 6 shot load avalible.YOU hit them they go down.

Quick Reply: What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.