Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 What load for phesants with a 12 ga. >

What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

My advice for pheasant loads is simple. If you hunt game farms like the one I run, I would use #5 or #6's with a modified/ improved cyl. . These birds ussually flush closer. If you hunt wild birds...well this depends much more on your shooting style. Do you shoot quick at birds that flush or do you let them get out a bit? If you shoot quick I would use the same load as at game farms. If you let the bird get out a little bit or you hunt them later in the season I would shoot # 4's or #5's with a modified or even a full choke.

I spent a lot of time at the trap/sporting clays range. This allowed me to really determine my style of shooting. I also pattern all my guns with different ammo to determine best results. Most people don't have to take it to that degree but I'm just relaying what worked for me.

Best of luck. Congrats on the new gun to be. What gun did you decide on?

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 06-03-2004, 07:54 PM

I'm gettin the 870 express in 12 gauge
Old 06-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

20ga that is the same type shot-gun i use since i was 12 years old! They are great guns, a lil heavy but it will make u strong Since your are new to pheasant i would stay away from the 4's you might end up shooting too quick and wasting your bird 6's are good for ya, trust me.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:23 PM

ok thanks for the help
Old 06-05-2004, 05:25 PM

Nate, The reason most people are telling you to get a 12 is because that is what most adults shoot. The majority of hunters who started shooting birds when they were 12 and 13, started with either a 20 gauge or a 16 gauge. Some muzzleloaders have a good kick. Keep this in mind, a muzzleloader you shoot a couple of times when you go hunting. A shotgun you could end up shootin a couple of boxes hunting ducks. If you start dreading pulling the trigger because of the recoil, then you are going to start missing shots. I think everyone agrees that if you can enjoy shooting a 12 gauge then that is what you should get. But if it is unpleasant to hunt because of the recoil, then why go? Hunting should be fun.
I would find someone either at a range or a neighbor who will let you shoot a couple of boxes of 12 gauge ammo. If you like it, then you have found your gun. If not you need to figure something else out. You also need to look at length of pull. A youth model will be better if you are still waiting to hit your growth spurt.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:58 PM

Im goin on Monday to go shoot some clay pidgons.
BENOUTHUNTIN I've already hit my growth spurt so the youth models are to small.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:02 PM

Well then. If you can handle the load, the 12 is looking mighty fine. So how did the shooting go. What guns and ammo did you shoot? Did you like it?
Old 06-06-2004, 01:17 PM

no Im goin tomorrow. But i did somethin stupid so now my guns brokin so I have to fix it. Im goin to ask the person that im shootin with if they know how to fix it
Old 06-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

[>:]Boy how in the world you break an 870? I dropped mine a dozen times, had it in every weather conditon shot everything you could shoot outta that thing and i used that same gun for 13 years!! What did u do?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:16 AM

Back to the start, my favorite pheasant load is discontinued. Remington had a 2 3/4 magnum field load in #6 that absolutly dropped them like a rock. i made a piss-poor judgment once, and fired at a rooster that, after we paced it, fell about 70 yards away! It was pure luck, and i know it. I will also never try it again. Now federal cartridge is offering similar 1 1/4 oz loads. I will try them this fall, as I'm running out of my remington loads.

Quick Reply: What load for phesants with a 12 ga.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.