Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

quail

Old 01-04-2002, 09:23 PM

Default quail

When hunting quail, do they make some sort of noice? I would you go about finding them without a bird dog?

Thanks for the input,

BrandonT
Old 01-04-2002, 09:41 PM

Default RE: quail

i personnaly think they do, some weird noise but u decide for urself or get a different answer
Old 01-04-2002, 09:43 PM

welcome to the board weirdo, thanks for your input, anyone else have an answer for me? lol

BrandonT
Old 01-05-2002, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

they do make some noise, find them along brush timber edges brushy creek bottoms field edges that are thick with some trees and lots of multiflora rose thickets late in the year it's not uncommon to find them buried up in brush piles it would be like kickin brush piles for bunnies but quail get with a dog is much better saves alot of stompin when nothin is there good luck

Edited by - HOSS on 01/05/2002 17:20:40
Old 01-06-2002, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use a quail call at times after we break them up and sometimes just to locate them in southern Ca.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:56 PM

Why would you even want to try. I mean other than the fact that you don't have a bird dog. For me the dogs point is as beautiful as the covey rise.
In answer to the question Bob White Quail whistle in the spring. It's a mating call. It sounds like bob-white, bob-white. The covey makes very quite chirping sounds from time to time when on the roost.
If the birds are plentiful in your area(they haven't been in GA in a long time)should be able to walk up birds if you know where to find quail.
Old 01-06-2002, 05:56 PM

Brandon, quail have 6 different calls. The familiar "bob-white" is a mating call heard only during mating season. If you're lucky, you'll hear quail calling as they come off the roost this time of year....but that's about it. If a covey hasn't been hunted/pressured, you may hear them call 30-35 minutes before sunrise. They'll call for only 2-3 minutes and then that's about it.

The only other call you may hear is the "lost bird" call which is happens with some regularity after the covey has been busted up.

That being said, I have to agree with shorthair, if you're going to hunt quail w/o a dog, you might as well go bust a few clay birds. But, each to his own.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:57 PM

I don't know about bobwhite but california quail are always quietly talking back and forth as they scratch for food. It is hard to describe but go for a quiet walk and listen in the brush piles and ravines. Also quail will "panic peep" as pressure is applied to them before they go quiet and stick.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:04 PM

You can hunt them without a dog, but rough going. If you can't get a dog walk along brushy fences and the edges of fields. best of luck
Bman