Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 How to hunt Grouse at this time of the year?? >

How to hunt Grouse at this time of the year??

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

How to hunt Grouse at this time of the year??

Old 12-09-2003, 07:54 PM

Default How to hunt Grouse at this time of the year??

Well the normal season for grouse is in the fall, and are stratagy for hunting them then is either road hunt or hunt on the ATV. I know that when it snows at that time they dont usually move to much.

So my question is how do the grouse act at the time of the year? Do they move at all or do they just stay in one spot. If they stay in one spot then what kind of spots should I be looking for? Thank you a lot for you help in advance. Michigan has there first ever late season for grouse so I will be taking advantage of this when we go up snowmobiling! Cant wait!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:05 PM

Default RE: How to hunt Grouse at this time of the year??

The weather has been so unpredictable that there is no set pattern. I live in Chippewa County and we have seen maybe a dozen and tagged one. I have set aside a small acreage on the property for Grouse and that seems to be the locale we find them still a lot of hunters on state and Federal land to trapse around and diturb them, good luck hope it helps some....
Old 12-18-2003, 11:29 PM

Default RE: How to hunt Grouse at this time of the year??

I assume your hunting situation in Michigan is similar to that of northern Maine, where I live. During bird season, driving the logging roads is the most common strategy. Once deer season hits here, most people forget about birds, even though our season now runs until the end of December.

Late in the season, when there is snow on the ground, birds will head towards thick swamps and thickets for cover. Find their tracks and you will find the birds. Be ready for them to flush out of the thick evergreens, when one flies most often there will be more as well.

Good Luck!