Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

WA Quail Report

Old 11-10-2003, 10:47 PM

Default WA Quail Report

A while ago I was looking for some info for a quail hunting trip in Eastern WA. Here is my report

We stayed in Ephrata and Hunted several local Wildlife areas including Gloyd Seeps, Winchester and Lower Crab Creek.

Saturday turned out to be a mostly a scouting day as did not see a single bird. This was very suprising considering the reports of how well things have been but I think the areas we went get hammered pretty hard. End of day saturday we had learned a lot and saw some other hunters having success (we also heard a few roosters). I was really suprissed we did not see a single quail.

Sunday we went back to where we heard the roosters on Saturday and with in the first hour my father-in-law picked a handsome wild rooster. He was perfect and likely this years bird as he was slightly smaller with short spurs. We continued to hunt this field and saw a wild flush a long distance off. We also bumped a hen that the dog was working. We continued to hunt this wildlife area and saw a group of 4 pheasnt that flushed off in the distance. We worked over to where they landed but at three of the birds must have crossed the road into private land and the one hen we saw was on the move.

This was my first Upland hunt in WA so it was good to learn some spots to hunt and to see some wild birds, especially all the hens, lets hope they live through the winter.

I was really suprsied that both days we never saw a quail until the drive out when we saw a covey on the side of the road (that flushed into private land).

I talked with some other guys that were having success on quail so I think it is all about getting to the areas that see less presure (duh). We walked alot but the acsess was well used and this late in the seasonthe birds are very jumpy.

I need a rebate so I think I chase some grouse next for a bit of redemption.

Thanks to everyone who gave me help. It was a great weekend seeing a beautiful part of the state and sharing it with my family.

PS there are still some active rattle snakes out there. My bro-in-law was warned by one in some rocks when he got to close.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WA Quail Report

Yeah, Scott, the areas that get pounded can be pretty tough. If you want to try something a bit (OK, a lot) more remote, let me know and I' ll be happy to take you.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:50 AM

SeattleSetters,

Thanks for the offer, it would be great to get out again and remote or rugged is not a problem for me. I have a 10mo old son so I can' t get out as much as I would like.
Do you normally make day trips or go multi-day? I think we live pretty close to each other (I belive you' re in Bellevue and I am in Sammamish).

My brother-in-law and I may get out for some grouse before turkey day. Although neither of us have a dog, I found a spot deer hunting with lots of birds that should cooperate. Maybe we could get out after that? Let me know

Thanks,

Scott

Old 11-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Scott - I am in Bellevue. I do mostly day trips with a few overnighters and week-long outings thrown in. I don' t mind hunting grouse, so if you think a dog could help, I can bring one of mine.

I go every weekend and some weekdays. I was planning on going all next week but something has come up so I' ll only get out about five days.

Let me know when you' re available and we' ll go.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:51 PM

Seattlesetters,

I am thinking about getting out soon (maybe next weekend) If you are up for it it would be great to hook up. if would be easier to chat over email let me know and I' ll send you my address

Scott
Old 11-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to Idaho next weekend. Sorry! I am going out for valley quail on Tuesday, though, so if you can play a little hooky...
Old 12-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

scottr - Just wanted to take a moment and thank you and Steve for last weekend's hunt. I had a good time making new friends, talking about fly fishing, hunting, bird dogs and chasing quail and chukar around in the snow.

I hope Flash and I were able to show you some nice country and a good hunt.

If you would ever like to go again, just let me know...
Old 12-17-2003, 10:52 PM

Steve and I had a great time as well. It was nice to meet you, spend the day talking about sport, hunting and and of course seeing Flash work. I can't get over the nose on him. It was a memorable day, in fact I was replaying those birds over and over in my head. One of the coolest things was seeing flash and subsequently you pickup those quail near the truck. He was locked on those birds from at least 60 yards, a superpower nose.

I'll get in touch when I get back from Montana, it would be great to get out again. I'm gonna get that stink off my shooting with some Montana ducks and then those chukar better watch out.

Happy Holidays