Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Advise Needed on Tree Planting Programme for Game Birds >

Advise Needed on Tree Planting Programme for Game Birds

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Advise Needed on Tree Planting Programme for Game Birds

Old 01-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default Advise Needed on Tree Planting Programme for Game Birds

Hello All!

I am currently living in Jamaica where our hunting season for Upland birds is a six week period starting late summer and runs through until early fall (end of August through end of September).
This year, the government is starting an tree planting initiative in effort to increase the population of game birds in the future. This will essentially establish stands of natural feeding trees for game bird species.
My club hunts in a variety of different landscapes; some close to the coastline or up in the hills:
  • Open Fields/Farm Plots
  • Woodlands
  • Swamps/Marshes
I am seeking advise for the best species of tree and/or shrubberies for the following birds which are hunted here in Jamaica:
  • White Winged Dove
  • Mourning Dove
  • White-Crowned Pigeon
Also, how much would be ideal for creating stands.
The seedlings will be provided free of cost, and will be provided to me by May and October of this year - in time for planting seasons.
Even if the specie of tree/shrub may not be native to the island, please list anyway. I appreciate all advise possible as I am trying to see what the best options are.

Last edited by wthwaites; 01-05-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wthwaites
Hello All!

I am currently living in Jamaica where our hunting season for Upland birds is a six week period starting late summer and runs through until early fall (end of August through end of September).
This year, the government is starting an tree planting initiative in effort to increase the population of game birds in the future. This will essentially establish stands of natural feeding trees for game bird species.
My club hunts in a variety of different landscapes; some close to the coastline or up in the hills:
  • Open Fields/Farm Plots
  • Woodlands
  • Swamps/Marshes
I am seeking advise for the best species of tree and/or shrubberies for the following birds which are hunted here in Jamaica:
  • White Winged Dove
  • Mourning Dove
  • White-Crowned Pigeon
Also, how much would be ideal for creating stands.
The seedlings will be provided free of cost, and will be provided to me by May and October of this year - in time for planting seasons.
Even if the specie of tree/shrub may not be native to the island, please list anyway. I appreciate all advise possible as I am trying to see what the best options are.

Welcome to the site! That's really an unusual question to ask when there probably isn't a person on here that lives where you are and that would have the slightest idea of how to help you since your climate is so different that most of the US. Good luck though on your inquiry!
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't speak for the White-crown pigeons but I suspect they are similar to our pigeons and morning doves and white wing doves in the Americas and they are basically seed eaters, they use trees for roosting purposes. You would be better off planting grain fields and sunflower fields than planting trees if food is your intention.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I can't speak for the White-crown pigeons but I suspect they are similar to our pigeons and morning doves and white wing doves in the Americas and they are basically seed eaters, they use trees for roosting purposes. You would be better off planting grain fields and sunflower fields than planting trees if food is your intention.
Thank you for the insight. In reference to roosting trees, what would be best?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mourning doves like to nest in conifer trees, they will roost in most any tree but since they are flocking birds they like big groves of trees such as fruit orchards, apples, pears, peach etc so they can roost together. Our pigeons are feral birds and they roost under bridges and barns and areas like that. White wings are a bird that are found substantially south of where I live so I can't tell you for sure about them but I suspect their habits are pretty much the same as mourning doves. I have been in Jamaica and your trees are much different than what we have so I don't know if conifer trees will grow there or if the fruit trees that we have will be compatible with your climate and soil . If you already have these birds native to your country you should contact your wildlife agency to see what these birds use to roost. However, I am sure planting corn and soybeans and other grains will serve you better for food for these birds than trees.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-05-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Mourning doves like to nest in conifer trees, they will roost in most any tree but since they are flocking birds they like big groves of trees such as fruit orchards, apples, pears, peach etc so they can roost together. Our pigeons are feral birds and they roost under bridges and barns and areas like that. White wings are a bird that are found substantially south of where I live so I can't tell you for sure about them but I suspect their habits are pretty much the same as mourning doves. I have been in Jamaica and your trees are much different than what we have so I don't know if conifer trees will grow there or if the fruit trees that we have will be compatible with your climate and soil . If you already have these birds native to your country you should contact your wildlife agency to see what these birds use to roost. However, I am sure planting corn and soybeans and other grains will serve you better for food for these birds than trees.
Thanks for the advice!