HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Advise Needed on Tree Planting Programme for Game Birds
Old 01-05-2017, 08:10 PM
wthwaites
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Mourning doves like to nest in conifer trees, they will roost in most any tree but since they are flocking birds they like big groves of trees such as fruit orchards, apples, pears, peach etc so they can roost together. Our pigeons are feral birds and they roost under bridges and barns and areas like that. White wings are a bird that are found substantially south of where I live so I can't tell you for sure about them but I suspect their habits are pretty much the same as mourning doves. I have been in Jamaica and your trees are much different than what we have so I don't know if conifer trees will grow there or if the fruit trees that we have will be compatible with your climate and soil . If you already have these birds native to your country you should contact your wildlife agency to see what these birds use to roost. However, I am sure planting corn and soybeans and other grains will serve you better for food for these birds than trees.
Thanks for the advice!