Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
bird hunting is getting expensive >

bird hunting is getting expensive

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

bird hunting is getting expensive

Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The cost of lead and brass has risen quite a bit in recent years.

Hoarding doesn't help either. I have not seen Federal 210M primers physically in a store in 4 years. Remember the military is sucking up a bunch of capacity for the ammo manufacturers, so they have less output of components for civilian use.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

We're not in Kansas anymore! Where I hunt, cost for box of shells in minimal compared to other costs. One box of steel shot will last the whole two month seasons. Western WA pheasant license is $92; and that only allows for pheasants. All other species requires a small game. Waterfowl is state stamp, small game, and federal stamp. I hunt frequently and average 1.5 birds a week. So, one box will last all season. That's cheaper than the $3.10 per gallon of gas I use to get me there.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe you bought shells you don't really need. I never bought a high priced box of shells in my life. (73 yrs) I find the ordinary inexpensive low brass work just as well as the high brass magnums on quail and pheasants. But then I did see a case of high brass 16 gauge 1 1/8 oz 12's at a garage sale. I asked the guy what he used them on. He replied, quail. Must have been picking shot out of his teeth at dinner time.
Only time I use magnum is on geese. Well and Turkey.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

What the heck I stopped in the bar the other day and a beer cost $ 5 and I get lots more fun out of a whole box of shells.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Obama caused!

JW
Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Shells? thats like the guy who complains about fishing line!

Shooting Club $1400...birds are extra
Bird Dog $2000
Escalade EXT 65K
public land with birds...priceless
Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Teddee5
Maybe you bought shells you don't really need. I never bought a high priced box of shells in my life. (73 yrs) I find the ordinary inexpensive low brass work just as well as the high brass magnums on quail and pheasants. But then I did see a case of high brass 16 gauge 1 1/8 oz 12's at a garage sale. I asked the guy what he used them on. He replied, quail. Must have been picking shot out of his teeth at dinner time.
Only time I use magnum is on geese. Well and Turkey.
i bought the cheapest shells i could find i only use high brass on pheasants and i usually hit them with the first shot that is with low brass 6s or 7 1/2 shot
Old 12-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

I found a certain type of shell I like to shoot, and it runs 12.99-14.99 a box. That is just something I "feel" comfortable with.

Just find what works within your budget, I shot shells that a buddy bought for 5.99 and they kill em just as dead as the shells I shoot, I just like supporting the two companies that produce the shells I get, and like I said, I feel comfortable shooting them.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Spike

10 percent profit! Thats not likely But I have been wrong once before. Reloading any less expensive?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Spike

When are wages going to go back up? Hmmmmmmm.