Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
bird hunting is getting expensive >

bird hunting is getting expensive

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

bird hunting is getting expensive

Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default bird hunting is getting expensive

why did shells get so dam expensive i have yet found a box of shells under 10 dollars i paid 13 dollars this morning for a box of shells why do people think they can charge us so much for them? its retarded im about ready to quite bird hunting because of how much everything is starting to cost and just bow hunt from now on.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Spike

Hunting is not a cheap hobby that is for sure!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I remember buy shells for duck hunting at 3.99 a box, then steel was mandated and we all know how much the price jumped then. It is just the way it is. Have you figured the cost per box buying a case of say Winchester Xpert compared to individual box price? I haven't as I have not bought shells in awhile, still have a good stock pile for my son. I shoot blackpowder so I buy individual components.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, the world economy (china) has had a huge impact on the price if materials.

Still, I spent $20 for a box of shells, went grouse hunting and flushe 8 birds, took 5 shots, and hit 2 in a day. At that rate, that box will last 4 trips.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Fork Horn

Several years ago, one of my friends at the local sporting goods store told me that shotgun shells were going to take a dramatic rise in cost. I went ahead and stocked up as much as I good on cases of shells. I'm sure glad I did that. Can't believe how much they have gone up.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 AM
M92
Spike

Originally Posted by KT29
Several years ago, one of my friends at the local sporting goods store told me that shotgun shells were going to take a dramatic rise in cost. I went ahead and stocked up as much as I good on cases of shells. I'm sure glad I did that. Can't believe how much they have gone up.
Supply and demand.

Folks hear that there is going to be a price jump, so they stockpile, creating more demand while the supply stays the same. And magically the price goes up. I wonder why that is?
Old 11-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by M92
Supply and demand.

Folks hear that there is going to be a price jump, so they stockpile, creating more demand while the supply stays the same. And magically the price goes up. I wonder why that is?
Now, now , be gentle. My friend was very right about the impending drastic price increase. It was at the end of the season and he was ordering stock for next years season because his suppliers informed him of the cost increases. Don't believe my stocking up had much to do with that.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 AM
M92
Spike

Originally Posted by KT29
Now, now , be gentle. My friend was very right about the impending drastic price increase. It was at the end of the season and he was ordering stock for next years season because his suppliers informed him of the cost increases. Don't believe my stocking up had much to do with that.
Granted it is much more complicated than just people stockpiling. But it is a definite factor. Cost of materials is another big factor. But if you remove any one of the factors the change is much less dramatic. Odds are you were not the only one stockpiling. Word travels fast, and people buy buy buy out of fear of high prices or availability problems.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greedy corporate America is what drives prices up.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
M92
Spike

LOL. That's pretty funny.

Yes, corporations do to some degree set the price. But if you look at most of the ammo MFGs you will find about a 10% profit margin regardless of the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.