Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Looking for a good shotgun choke >

Looking for a good shotgun choke

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Looking for a good shotgun choke

Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Default Looking for a good shotgun choke

Hi all, i've been looking around for chokes since i bought a 12 gauge mossberg 500 shotgun. I bought the gun in an add and the guy gave me an extra full choke with it. Now i've been asking on yahoo answers, a bunch of experienced friends, and a couple people on here, and a lot of them have different answers for the type of choke i should get. I wanted to get an ajustable choke but a friend said that since i already have a full choke then i would only need a modified since he said i probably won't be shooting impoved cylinder any. People on Yahoo answers say's that the ajustable choke is crap and a couple guys on here say for me to get an ajustable, and/or improved cylinder. I wanna here it from the forum and average out all the answers to see which one is favored. So help me out guys: What kind of choke should i get??? Oh, i guess i should also set you on the right track and say that i'm very interested in hunting grouse, doves, turkey, geese and ducks. But the turkey geese and ducks are already covered since i have an extra full choke. But, i don't know what the furture holds and i will probably(maybe even definetaly)get into other types of birdgame hunting. I"ve always wanted to hunt pheasant and rabbits. Thanks, Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan1515; 03-12-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I think modified would work well for what you are wanting to hunt. Does Mossburg recommed a extra full full choke for steel shot? Most mfg will say to use modified.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Anyone else?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jonathan;

# 1 Get "extended" chokes

# 2 You will need at less three (3) different ones to hunt all the game you mentioned.
Wide pattern = cylinder, improved cylinder or skeet
Average pattern = light modified, modified or improved modified
Tight pattern = light full, full or extra full (turkey)

# 3 You need different ammo for each type of game (ie: high # like 8 for small birds and lower # like 2 or 4 for large birds)

Note: steel shot is required for most waterfowl and you normally move to the next wider choke with steel shot (NEVER use full chokes with steel shot !!!).

That's the basics..................................
Old 03-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

Its all about personal preference. Here is what I would choose:

Ducks - full with #2 or #4 steel shot, with lead #4 modifed or full. Bismuth or Tungsten, check with manufacturer. Alot of this is going to depend upon how you hunt, the weather and the distance you normally shoot.

Turkey - full but I haven't done much turkey

Doves - full flight, #6 or #7 1/2 or #8 lead, modified. Alot depends if windy or you are expecting to jump them.

Grouse - Imp cylinder #6 or #7 1/2 lead if you have fast reactions or hunting behind a pointing dog. Modified #6 lead if you like to make sure shots, ie. line up barrel.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Banned

So it looks like i'm going to need a certain amount of chokes...............

So should i get the ajustable one???? I plan to hunt doves while they're flying. A friend said i should hunt grouse with modified, but i don't know.

Should i just buy a modified or an ajustable one.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jonathan,

There are "old" shotguns with a adustable choke called a "polychoke".

Modern shotguns do NOT have adjustable chokes !

They do have chokes that are threaded so that you can screw them in and out.

So, do yourself a favor and get "extended" chokes so you can change them (screw them in & out) without needing a tool.

Second, get three (3) different "sizes" to start; Improved Cylinder (or Skeet, better yet, as it is good to practice with also), Modified and Full.

Third; Please read a little bit about chokes. See link below (Briley is one of many manufactures of shotgun chokes).

http://www.briley.com/understandings...nbybriley.aspx

Hope this helps............and good luck !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-14-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

I know!! I have an extended choke. And i was on Cabalas and they have ajustable chokes that are extended.

I have been reading, i just am wanting you guys opinion.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jonathan,

Please forgive me...............I'm sorry !!!

Never in a million years, did I expect to see this;

TrugloŽ Titan Adjustable Choke Tubes !?!?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

Some people even gave it good reviews too !!!

I guess I don't know a damm thing anymore..............nuff said from me !!!!!!!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-14-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Jonathan,

Please forgive me...............I'm sorry !!!

Never in a million years, did I expect to see this;

TrugloŽ Titan Adjustable Choke Tubes !?!?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

Some people even gave it good reviews too !!!

I guess I don't know a damm thing anymore..............nuff said from me !!!!!!!!
Aww it's alright man. I forgive you. sorry if i sounded snippy. But yeah that's the exact choke i was looking at a couple days ago. Do you think i should get that??? Or anyone for that matter. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.