Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Looking for a good shotgun choke >

Looking for a good shotgun choke

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Looking for a good shotgun choke

Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank for letting off the hook so easily !

No I wouldn't buy one of those, kinda a gimick.............certainly with what is available today.

A couple to look at (keep in mind you can spend a lot or a little);

I have brought from George Trulock and I recommend his chokes.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi

Major Manufactures;

Expensive- some say the best (I use some on my "range" gun)
http://www.briley.com/briley-shotguns.aspx

A lot of people like Carlson's
http://www.choketube.com/contents.html

Some hunter's swear by Comp-N-Choke
http://www.comp-n-choke.com/

Lastly,

Each gun manufacture will sometimes makes there own chokes, but always know that whatever brand you buy, it must be made to fit your gun.

That's why a just like working with George Trulock (call him at 1-800-293-9402)
Old 03-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

Alright i guess i won't buy the ajustable kind. A friend said the same thing. How do i know the measurement of my barrel??? Like .730 or .705 you get the picture. Yeah so i guess i'll look into the trulock chokes.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

What does it mean when it say's "ported" next to the choke?
Old 03-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you see the chokes with the holes (ports) in them.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/pod/0012773.shtml

I don't care for them, no matter how many benifits they "claim" to have.

I don't like the idea of getting twiggs in there, when I need to walk through dense brush.

You need to pick three chokes;(Recommend "extended": Imp Cyl, Mod & Full ) that "work/fit" in the make and model of Shotgun you own.

BTW - What do you own ? Manufacture's name, Gauge (10, 12, 16, 20, 28 or 410 bore) & Model
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

I have a mossberg 500, 12 gauge. I already have an extended full choke for the shotgun. Ok, yeah good thing you don't recommend ported, cuz they were 12 dollars more expensive. I'll buy a modified for starters and then if i go into other types of hunting i'll buy an improved cylinder. Thanks, Jonathan
Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you get the Imp Cyl (or maybe buy a "skeet" instead); go to the range and shoot some skeet. If you get good, try your hand at "5 stand". Both will make you a better shot ! If you get really good; shoot "low gun" - and I mean LOW GUN !!!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheridan
When you get the Imp Cyl (or maybe buy a "skeet" instead); go to the range and shoot some skeet. If you get good, try your hand at "5 stand". Both will make you a better shot ! If you get really good; shoot "low gun" - and I mean LOW GUN !!!
Sorry, i have no idea as to what you just said. "low gun?" "5 stand?" I know what skeet is, it's like inbetween modified and cylinder i think.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

It will all make sense when you get back from the range (trap, skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays). Best thing you can do for yourself in preperation for hunting - practice, practice, practice..........BTW - low gun means don't mount your gun until after you call "pull". And the "low gun" starting point is with the butt plate of your gun below your bottom rib.Great fun also !!!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jonathan1515
Alright i guess i won't buy the ajustable kind. A friend said the same thing. How do i know the measurement of my barrel??? Like .730 or .705 you get the picture. Yeah so i guess i'll look into the trulock chokes.
Mossbergs 500s are popular guns, you should be able to go with any manufacturer. All standard chokes (ie, skeet, IC, mod, full) should follow an industry standard. It's the threading which may be in question. 12ga is around 18.5mm or .73" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_(bore_diameter) ). The restriction at the end of the barrel (bore) determines the tightness of the pattern, ie. chokes. So, a full will have the smallest diameter or tightest pattern, to modified (medium), to improv cylinder, to skeet which has the largest diameter for the largest pattern. In that order.

If you were to take two extremes, full choke and skeet, layout a sheet of paper (about 36" square) and fired both at 30' or so, you will find a definite difference between the two. The full choke effective (95% of the bb) will form a circular pattern of say 12" diameter. The skeet will form a circular pattern of say 24" dia. These are guessimates ofcourse.

Trap, Skeet, 5 stand, etc. are all different shotgunning games. Trap is good for ducks or high flying birds as the trap house shoots away from you. Skeet is good for grouse as there are two houses, high and low, and clay birds come at you or fly by at differring angles. 5 stand is a quick shooting game where you are not told where the clay bird is comming from, including those that bounce along the ground. If/when you get to play some of these games, find an old timer to teach you how, ie. stance, lead, etc. But becareful, these can be very addicting.

Last edited by Mite; 03-18-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Spike

jonathan I just looked at the adjustable choke ( i to did not know of such a thing ) but it did not say that there was one made for a 500. I agree that you need to have at least three different chkes if you are going to use one gun for everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.