Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Pheasant hunting without a dog? >

Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

This is kind of off the wall but I'll spit it out anyway. Other then hunting on a preserve our Wisconsin pheasant hunting sucks. They plant birds but not many and none seem to live long.

I don't want the bother of a dog for this so I took a chance and bought a pheasant call. Nothing to lose right?

I was deer hunting high up in a box stand on a friend's property (marsh) and there were some pheasants nearby. They were about 100 yards out in the marsh grass. The deer hunting was slow so I climbed down from my stand and stood just at the base which was about 10 yards from the marsh grass.

I clucked on that call and kept seeing movement in the grass coming closer. After about 30 minutes out pops a nice rooster right in front of me about 10 yards away. I didn't have a shotgun (and you don't shoot pheasants with a .300 Win Mag) so just looked at him while he looked at me. Would have been an easy shot. In any case pheasant calls work if you don't feel bad about ground swatting them.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
This is kind of off the wall but I'll spit it out anyway. Other then hunting on a preserve our Wisconsin pheasant hunting sucks. They plant birds but not many and none seem to live long.

I don't want the bother of a dog for this so I took a chance and bought a pheasant call. Nothing to lose right?

I was deer hunting high up in a box stand on a friend's property (marsh) and there were some pheasants nearby. They were about 100 yards out in the marsh grass. The deer hunting was slow so I climbed down from my stand and stood just at the base which was about 10 yards from the marsh grass.

I clucked on that call and kept seeing movement in the grass coming closer. After about 30 minutes out pops a nice rooster right in front of me about 10 yards away. I didn't have a shotgun (and you don't shoot pheasants with a .300 Win Mag) so just looked at him while he looked at me. Would have been an easy shot. In any case pheasant calls work if you don't feel bad about ground swatting them.

you know what john wayne said about your gun,TOO MUCH GUN!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

300 for pheasants you're right but he wasn't hunting for them...