Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Pheasant hunting without a dog? >

Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Spike

To help out the OP with his original questions. Hunting Pheasants can be really tough like Teddee had mentioned. We hunt a lot in western KS and you have to remember that those birds like fields of corn, milo, and set aside land. Thier habitat does not really create natural funnels or thickets that will hold them or contain them long enough for you to press them.

It can be done and with two guys you will really need to hunt directly into the wind to keep them from flushing early. Always remember to keep your voices down and dont slam car doors when you are getting started. It sounds kind of silly, but I have stepped into a field and had birds immediately flush 100 yards in front of me. Once one bird flushes, they all get a little jumpy and you dont get any close shots.

If you can I would try to get a small group of guys together so that you have a better chance of taking some birds.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hunter MD
Sproulman,

That is a very opinionated post without any substance at all. Driving for Pheasant is a great way to hunt with your family and there is nothing disgusting about it. A sport is in the manner that you participate, if you obey all of the rules/laws, make ethical shots, and make sure that everyone uderstands that there is no tolerance for unsafe practifces then it is a great way to enjoy the outdoors.

I have been pheasant hunting since I was 9 years old and have participated on drives since I could walk. My family has access to fields that are 200+ yards accross and go for miles and driving is really the best way to hunt those properties. We dont pheasant hunt with dogs and more birds get away on a regular basis than we take because they exit on the flanks and we pass on a lot of shots if they are risky.

You dont get shot if everyone you are hunting with is safe, everyone has zones to shoot within and the blockers know exactly what to do when drivers approach. Where do you get off discounting a family tradition based on opinion??
FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN OVER 46 YRS .your group is good one ,yes there are very safety groups like you.BUT MOST ARE NOT.

yes, i believe dog is way to go and have fun. but people that dont have dog driving is their way of getting birds.so ,i am only looking at it from my view.i have drove birds before i had dog and did enjoy it BUT when i saw a guy or gal with that nice birddog,OLE SPROUL SAID I HAVE GOT TO GET ONE.
groups i see driving for pheasants are bunch of ignorant people.1 day a year hunters.real goof balls.

is it all of them. NO,but out of 5 groups only 1 is worth any good comment from me.your group sounds like a good one which is hard to find.

i know my comments make some mad but its the TRUTH on PUBLICLAND TODAY HERE IN PA.it is very dangerous, so much so that i actually run to get away from them with toby.
i have been hit so many times that i now wear amber shooting glasses.
yes,. there are ignorant hunters with dogs too.

take care sproul
Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
My brother and I are day dreaming about going out west (we live in Virginia) to pheasant hunt some time. We don't have dogs as there aren't enough game birds to justify a dog in this part of the country. We mostly deer hunt but would love to bird hunt. Is it possible to find public land in South Dakota, Iowa or somewhere else that has birds and can be successfully hunted without dogs?
Yes, I live in South Dakota and there is a lot of public land but you would want to get to it very early in the season as it is over hunted quickly. Also, with that in mind, there are a lot of hunters on public land the first two weeks of season. Aside from that, you should be able to find plenty of narrow draws, sloughs, tree lines, etc. in which you could hunt without a dog.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BidYourHunt
Yes, I live in South Dakota and there is a lot of public land but you would want to get to it very early in the season as it is over hunted quickly. Also, with that in mind, there are a lot of hunters on public land the first two weeks of season. Aside from that, you should be able to find plenty of narrow draws, sloughs, tree lines, etc. in which you could hunt without a dog.
its hard to get info out of SOUTH DAKOTA.some will say,SPROUL 3 RD WEEK IS BEST TO HUNT AFTER CROWDS ARE GONE,OTHERS WILL SAY COME FIRST WEEK.
this is why i may next year find someone that knows the place and come out and stay with them,then trade a 3 day bear hunt here in my area of pa.clinton county is best county for bear in pa.i dont hunt bear but i know areas they are in etc and our mountains are best in world too see.just seeing those mountaINS is a lot of fun.
also this year they have archery bear season for 3 days but only 9 were kill in my are and 260 with gun the next week.

before i am too old and toby my lab i would like to try that so.dakota hunt for birds.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
its hard to get info out of SOUTH DAKOTA.some will say,SPROUL 3 RD WEEK IS BEST TO HUNT AFTER CROWDS ARE GONE,OTHERS WILL SAY COME FIRST WEEK.
this is why i may next year find someone that knows the place and come out and stay with them,then trade a 3 day bear hunt here in my area of pa.clinton county is best county for bear in pa.i dont hunt bear but i know areas they are in etc and our mountains are best in world too see.just seeing those mountaINS is a lot of fun.
also this year they have archery bear season for 3 days but only 9 were kill in my are and 260 with gun the next week.

before i am too old and toby my lab i would like to try that so.dakota hunt for birds.
Sproul; Check out SD Pheasant hunting and they have maps with private and public lands which you can hunt. It is a great place to hunt pheasants. I have never hunted any place that has the birds or cover SD has.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Sproul; Check out SD Pheasant hunting and they have maps with private and public lands which you can hunt. It is a great place to hunt pheasants. I have never hunted any place that has the birds or cover SD has.
what i am trying to work on is someone me and toby can stay with and show us where to go,then they could come here to pa AND STAY WITH ME for bear hunt or deer hunt .
i live in best bear county in usa,CLINTON,pa .i think we got 260 bears last year .
deer hunting is not good but scenery is awesome,thats worth the trip.

same with SD scenery HUNTING WITH TOBY HAS TO BE SOMETHING.i like to do that before i get too old to go.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

i hunt witout a dog all the time and do great i find standing corn and walk through the middle just make sure no 1 is hunting with dogs chase them up
Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

SD has some great pheasant hunting. A couple years ago we had our limit for 16 people in 4 hours of hunting. Thats 48 birds in 4 hours. We only shot a small amount of what we saw. The central part of the state is the best area to hunt.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

i like too come out to SD with my lab toby.looking for place to stay FREE of course and someone too point me in right direction to hunt etc.
then they can come to my HOME here in pa in best bear country in world if they bear hunt or do deer hunting etc.

mountains alone here is worth a trip.same with SD .
Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

it can be done without a dog... i did it for years before i finally got a dog about 4 years ago. If youre going by yourself, theres something things to keep in mind. Zigzag as others said... thats the best way to cover the most ground. Try to keep the wind in your favor, as a downwind may carry your sound and scent and make them fly early. Traveling against the wind they seem to sit much much tighter... thats just my experience anyways. If its the first week or two of the season, the birds will be sitting tight and not run usually... especially if its thick cover. Because of this, stop every forty or fifty yards or so and just stand there. This tends to make birds sitting tight nervous and usually they'll flush given enough time. If youre hunting birds that are running, try either finding really thick cover where the will be forced to sit tight, or else use blockers drivers, but keep it quiet. Yelling and shouting to other buddies doesnt help. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.