Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Pheasant hunting without a dog? >

Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
I think it is possible if you can run fast enough to scare them up before they see you.
He has never pheasant hunted before, so his advice is quite usless.

If your hunting strips you can hunt without a dog, but you wanna walk zig zagged throught the strip so you cover as much ground as possible. You also wanna make sure you have at least one blocker other wise the birds will never fly. The bummer about hunting without dogs is you lose alot more birds, but it helps if you mark the spot where your bird fell and dont take your eyes off the spot till you find the bird.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Spike

Agreed.
You can hunt without dogs but it is definitely better with more people. 5-6 guns was not too many in my experience. The birds don't like to fly unless they have to. So if you can make a big enough line it will keep them from flanking you and 1 or even 2 blockers is a really good idea depending on the situation. Just make sure you know who you're hunting with and be safe. Think of it like driving deer- the birds will follow either the terrain or the cover. All you have to do is block their escape route and get them up.
The guys from SD that I hunted with liked to make a lot of noise when they were walking using the back of their throat in a kind of trilling noise. I'm not sure it made much of a difference but it would spoke me if something like that came up on me while I was hiding in the bushes.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

If you're interested in bird hunting and you do a lot of deer hunting right now; why not get a versatile dog that will point upland game; retrieve waterfowl and blood track big game?

Pudelpointers, DD's/GWP's, DK's/GSP's would all be great choices and can double as great house dogs. Just my $ .02.

Good luck
Old 05-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Good pheasant hunting!

In Boscobel Wisconsin near the airport is a public hunting ground and the state releases pheasants once a week during pheasant season.
If you go to this public hunting ground on James Rd., you will drive right past my facility.
I raise and sell Ring Neck, and Black Mutant Pheasants. I also sell Bob White Quail.
Many people like the Black Mutants because this is a Pheasant that is unregulated. Can hunt them year round, dog train with them year round. These birds have metallic blue green coloration interspersed in their plumage and look great!

We started raising pheasants and quail to have a steady supply for training our American Brittany's and Llewellin Setters.
We sell puppies as companions in the field and for the family.

If you have any questions about dogs or birds give me a call.
608-732-3557 ask for Kevin.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Spike

this is a bit out....... but if you check the official Virginias website (http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/) there are plenty of good places to hunt birds on public land. Take a look it wont waste your time.

Last edited by michaylovich; 07-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Tough. They run before flying. Best is to have one go around ahead, then zig zag towards each other. Catch them between you and they get nervous and then fly. Take enough gun and shell size to keep them down after you hit them. Or walk around and then towards a bare area.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Spike

ive never hunted with a dog, i can definitely see the advantages of using one. main thing is to cover as much ground as possible, but be thorough, because as mentioned before i have seen them running away alot. my best luck came from walking threw the thickest stuff. thatll kick em up. walking by them they will stay put. good luck!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

As a native South Dakotan, I can tell you that there are a LOT of places that you can hunt throughout the state that offer the capacity to fill your limit without a hunting dog. If you are not interested in working with a professional pheasant outfitters, you'll have to resort to hunting on public walk-in land. While this is going to be less fruitful, with a bit of walking (and a couple of hunting buddies to do some blocking for you), you can fill your limit.

Heres the link for the public walk-in maps: http://www.southdakotahunting.com/do...aps-atlas.html
Old 08-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

driving for pheasants is DISGUSTING.i dont know how anyone can enjoy that and also dont know how you keep from being shot.
it should not be allowed, its too dangerous and its not SPORTING at all.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Spike

Sproulman,

That is a very opinionated post without any substance at all. Driving for Pheasant is a great way to hunt with your family and there is nothing disgusting about it. A sport is in the manner that you participate, if you obey all of the rules/laws, make ethical shots, and make sure that everyone uderstands that there is no tolerance for unsafe practifces then it is a great way to enjoy the outdoors.

I have been pheasant hunting since I was 9 years old and have participated on drives since I could walk. My family has access to fields that are 200+ yards accross and go for miles and driving is really the best way to hunt those properties. We dont pheasant hunt with dogs and more birds get away on a regular basis than we take because they exit on the flanks and we pass on a lot of shots if they are risky.

You dont get shot if everyone you are hunting with is safe, everyone has zones to shoot within and the blockers know exactly what to do when drivers approach. Where do you get off discounting a family tradition based on opinion??

Last edited by Hunter MD; 08-24-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.